Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: DB Connection Wizard ERRor newbee

Unhappy DB Connection Wizard ERRor newbee

Just starting and I am unable to edit the fields in the Generic - tab of the conneciton dialog -
    URL
    Driver Class

How do you edit these fields?? I can not find a way to type / edit these fields - the system just won't accept the cursor / text all!? What am I missing

Thanks in advance

I am trying to connect to C-Tree from Faircom using the ODBC driver -
    (which works well in Crystal Reports and OpenOffice.org- Base)

Thanks in advance

Talking

In the general tab first select as database type "generic database" and your fields will become editable.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks for the quick reply =
    On the 1st page I have selected the database type as Generic
    and ODBC as the driver type and then entered the Server and DNS name for the DB in the spaces below that selection -
    Then when I click on the Generic tab - still can't enter info into the URL and Driver Class text-boxes ??

Thanks
    Walker

Well, I did not write "click ODBC" ... Generic database/Native (JDBC) will make the generic tab editable. If you select Generic database and ODBC, you should suffice with the fields on the first tab.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks for the reply -

Here is where I am so far Kettel 2.5.1
    General Tab -
    Connection name entered
    connection type - Generic database
    method of access - ODBC
    Server host name - entered
    database name - entered

Generic Tab - still can't edit
    but I did edit the associated .ktr file's xml by adding these lines

<attribute><code>CUSTOM_DRIVER_CLASS</code><attribute>sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver

</attribute></attribute>

<attribute><code>CUSTOM_URL</code><attribute>jdbcdbc:PP_Clinical_DB</attribute><

/attribute>

and the correct entry now appers in the text boxes for
    URL and Driver class; the text boxes are still un-editable (is that a word?)

The Text button indicated a successful connection -
    but if I try to run a simple query -
    Select * From table

Kettel crashes??????

Thanks for all the help so far - still working on it -

Walker

... you're not reading what I'm writing (or you need a new pair of glasses) :

Generic database/Native (JDBC) will make the generic tab editable. If you select Generic database and ODBC, you should suffice with the fields on the first tab.
    The generic tab is ONLY available for Generic database/Native (JDBC), not for ODBC. Try selecting Generic database and Native (JDBC) and then check out the generic tab.

The reason is simple, if you're using ODBC why would you want to fill in e.g. the driver class?

Even if you fill it in manually in the XML file, if it's not used it will be not be used.

For the crashing I dunno... what stacktrace do you get. If you get a JDK stacktrace it's usually bad... some of the ODBC drivers seem to have trouble being used from Java.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 09-11-2007 at 03:21 AM.

Yes - now I re-read - and can edit - but any route leads to a crash of Kettel -
    But the test runs fine and indicates connection -
    BUT
    Reading the error files / logs seems it MAY NOT be Kettel - but my current ODBC driver from Faircom for their C-Tree DB - !? -(
    Keep getting the rather creptic message the the Faircon ODBC is not capable ???

I have posted a message to the Faircon support site BUT I have no service contract w/them as the DB is integrated in a package I am using --

So thanks for all the help and attention - will cont. to struggle on , see if I can find a more current driver (think I have the most current), we will be upgrading to C-Tree Server - a more robust version - and then try again -

So disappointed - this Pentaho package just looks truelly amazing

Walker

I used Ctree before (up until 5 years ago), I doubt you will get the ODBC driver to work with Java at all (in a consistent manner).
    It's called ctree, not jtree after all.

Sorry,
    Sven