Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: insert/update step does not see trailing spaces

Default insert/update step does not see trailing spaces

Setup: Kettle 2.5.1
    Database : Oracle

I read the MAINCOLOR field from table product for all records where MAINCOLOR <> trim(MAINCOLOR) In my case tha values read are of the form "001 "
    I change the value of MAINCOLOR to "001" (without training spaces)
    I do the insert/update step. This step does not see a difference between "001" and "001 "

I guess this is a Kettle problem!

The error log is attached

As i am confronted a lot with this kind of problems having the possibility to specify left/right trim in the "database value lookup component" and "Stream lookup" would be a significant functional enhancement for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Make a small example with only row generators and stream lookup and show us your problem

Regards,
    Sven

Gunther, Sven,

There is no trimming being done in I/U and the lookup itself is being performed by the database.
    However, I think that in certain cases the database does automatically perform a trim.
    What is the Oracle data type of MAINCOLOR anyway?

Vriendelijke groeten,

Matt

I'm willing to bet varchar2 ... that's why I asked for an example with only row generators and stream lookup.

Regards.
    Sven

I guess we should just driver over to Gunther's place and look for ourselves.
    Now that drinking Hoegaarden is Politically Correct again...

Matt, Sven,

I have beer in the fridge, so if you guys want to solve this problem at my place, feel free to do so.

I dont know if i understood your question for the example correctly, therefor i have created 2 examples.

Create table product1.ktr, creates 1 record in table "product1", the field MAINCOLOR has trailing spaces
    Show problem.ktr tries tu update the MAINCOLOR field in the table, but does not see that tha value of MAINCOLOR = "001" without trailing spaces.
    I have tried this with Oracle and MySQL, both behave the same. The Oracle field type is VARCHAR2

The streamlookup.ktr tries to show you my enhancement request .

Regards,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Database issue

Code:
    mysql> create table gunther(a varchar(100));
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.10 sec)

mysql> insert into gunther values('100 '), ('101     ');
    Query OK, 2 rows affected (0.10 sec)
    Records: 2  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> select concat(a, ']') from gunther;
    +----------------+
    | concat(a, ']') |
    +----------------+
    | 100 ]          |
    | 101     ]      |
    +----------------+
    2 rows in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> select * from gunther where a='101'
        -> ;
    +----------+
    | a        |
    +----------+
    | 101      |
    +----------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)
    This presents an interesting problem. Since varchar or varchar2 compare with disregard for trailing spaces, you need to go to the CHAR data type.
    However, that data type typically pads to the specified length.

At least in MySQL this ANSI behavior is disabled by default. (option: padCharsWithSpace=false).

In Oracle, you might have luck with the "fixedString" option:

If the value of this property is "true", JDBC will use FIXED CHAR semantic when setObject is called with a String argument. By default JDBC uses VARCHAR semantics. The difference is in blank padding. With the default there is no blank padding so, for example, 'a' does not equal 'a ' in a CHAR(4). If true these two will be equal.
    HTH,
    Matt

Matt,

For mysql setting padCharsWithSpace=true does solve the problem for Kettle, but it does not allow you to clean up your database. If kettle writes a line with "001 " it stay's in the database as "001 ". It is only the JDBC driver that pad's the extra characters. Another program with different padCharsWithSpace will suffer from the same problem.To fix this problem without an extra "trim" step could be to have the lookup step trim the result (The trim is controlled by a parameter).

To fix this problem without an extra "trim" step could be to have the lookup step trim the result (The trim is controlled by a parameter).
    No really, I'm not going to sprinkle trim options all over the database operators :-)

Instead of messing about with these spaces, wouldn't it be far easier and cleaner to just store the number of trailing spaces in a separate column? Or you can use another flag to identify the records. This seems an easier workaround than the rather elaborate scheming we're doing above :-)

HTH,

Matt

Default trim step

Matt,

If someone would write a trim step, would this be included in the standard distribution?