Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Multiple users use the same repository. Lock Transformations

Exclamation Multiple users use the same repository. Lock Transformations

Multiple users use the same repository. Lock Transformations

Hi all,

Here i'm again.
    In my job we are a lot of developers. For maintenance and control reasons, we must to work using the same repository (really the same server installation of Ascential DataStage). This implicate that, when a user open a ETL Job (Transformations on Kettle), nobody else can open the same job, until this user close it.
    We found that on Kettle this not work by this way. I mean, many user can open (and Save too!) the same transformation in the repository. The problem is that the final information saved to this job, is that the last user save on the repository. This is nothing usefull, because someone can accidentally open a transformation that other user is modifying, and save wrong content, overwriting the correct content.

Do you know if there are some way to lock a transformation or job while a user is working on it, and then unlock it after close? Or maybe this must to be developed to fix this "weakness"?

Best Regards,
    Alvaro

For an answer to the last, it's still something to be developed. A tracker was open for that, I will move it to JIRA and then you can vote on it

In general DataStage is not PDI, don't assume you can just move everthing over 1 to 1.

Use the KISS for your development/repository problem. Make a design of all jobs required (you want to probably use your existing jobs as guideline), put them in a spreadsheet and assign each job to a developer... and no one runs into each other if all developers behave.

Personally I would not advise to use a repository in production (nor model office). But that's personal. If you do use a repository... backups and exports.

Regards,
    Sven

Moved it to JIRA, see http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-159

Feel free to vote for it, it would be a really useful feature.

Regards,
    Ben

How I can vote for it on JIRA?

Thanks.

Alvaro.

Get an id for jira... go to the tracker and on the left you will see a link to "vote"
    For the moment we don't really work on them based on popularity, but maybe if a lot of people start voting for a certain feature ....

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks Sven. I voted for it

Bye.