Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Keeping nulls while changing data type

Default Keeping nulls while changing data type

Hi Pentaho community!

I'm working in kettle 2.5.

I have a spreadsheet from a third party with 217 fields. Most of the data is numeric, but sometimes they throw in an alpha code.

I am reading in the fields as strings, and using a Modified Java Script Value step to convert the alpha codes to numbers. Next, I use a Select values step to convert the data type to number.

Instead of nulls in the spreadsheet, they have either two or four spaces. I trim the fields, so I guess the null fields are turned into zero-length strings. Unfortunately, the zero-length strings are being turned to 0.0 when I convert the data type form string to number.

I can use a Null if... step before the Select Values step. This changes the zero-length strings to null, and they come through the type conversion as null. However, I have to input the names of all 217 fields by hand.

Is there a better way?

Thanks,
    Nathan

Show me an example... my example is attached (but I don't see your problem). Change my example to show what you see.

Regards,
    Sven
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Sven,

Here's my example. When I preview the results of Replace K I have what looks like null in some of the blanks. If I try to select contents of the cells in the preview results, I can get the cursor to go in the cell but there is nothing to select.

However, when I preview the results of Change Measure Types to Numbers, I have 0.0 where I used to have blanks.

Thanks for you help.

Nathan

Hi Sven,

I've modified your example to show my problem. I'm using Spoon 2.5.0, and I get output of 0.0.

Is there a JavaScript trick I could use to set the values to null?

I have tried something along the lines of

for( var i = 6; i < row.size(); i++ )
    {
    var value = row.getValue(i);
    if( value == "")
    {

But I get stuck there. I can't do value.setValue(null) because then JavaScript wouldn't know what type to use.

Thanks again for looking at this.

Nathan

I tested my version of the example transform in spoon 3.0 and it throws an error at the select values step. It says "" is an unparsable number.

So you mean like field a4 in the example attached to this post?

Regards,
    Sven

Yes, the spreadsheet fields are like field a4 in the last example. Unfortunately, the "blank" cells that actually contain spaces don't contain a consistent number of spaces. Sometimes they are " ", and sometimes they are " ".

I thought an efficient way to take care of this would be to trim the spreadsheet fields upon input. That changes the spaces fields from " " to "". I was hoping "" would convert to null when I changed the data type to number, but I guess it doesn't.

I think my solution will be to use a null if step to change "" to null before I convert the data type.