Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Writing to Log_Field?

Default Writing to Log_Field?

Hello,

I am using Transformation logging to capture the Input and Output stats for a long running transformation.

Basically, I'm extracting 16 years worth of transactional information from 277 companies (tables) from a very old (and slow, and frequently crashing) accounting system. I've structured the work into a series of Jobs and transformations to manage the looping, but want a robust means of auditing my progress.

In order to properly audit the extract, I'd like to "log" the Company code and the Year being extracted, ideally by using the Transformation Logging settings available by default for transformation (i.e not to a table structure of my own devising).

I have tried using a javascript writeToLog() function to write to the Logfile, and then ticking the "Use logfield to store logging in?" tickbox. My line of thought was that the writeToLog() output would be inserted into the Transformation logging table's "log_field" column; however this doesn't show anything further than the fact that each step in the transformation was initialised.

In the event that I can't use kettle's built in logging to log the number of records read, number of records written to DB, Company and Year; can anyone suggest an equivalent way of doing this?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Kel.

You mean something as http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-42 ?

Regards,
    Sven

That sounds good to me - my apologies for not checking there first.

Thanks,
    Kel.

It's not in yet... if you have additional requirements add them to that request, vote for the request, ...

Regards,
    Sven