Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI (Kettle), Talend, SAS, BO

Default PDI (Kettle), Talend, SAS, BO

Hi every body,
    i'm asked to evaluate PDI, Talend and do a benchmarking against proprietary ETL (SAS & BO). i designed and implemented my data warehouse then i used PDI to load data from the source database on oracle into the target data warehouse on mysql(localhost) and everything was fine. i did the same with talend and it was ok. But the company i'm working for are asking if the following features exist or no:
    - The use of a standard to export the metadata like the one used by SAS (CWM)
    - The use of LDAP for authentication
    - The use of external schedulers
    - impact analysis (i saw from the menu transformation in spoon something about impact analysis but i don't know how it works and how is it compared to the proprietary tools)
    they ask also for an overview of PDI architecture.

if any one can help me
    Thanks in advance!
    hamma
    Last edited by hammamr; 09-18-2007 at 10:35 AM.

- The use of a standard to export the metadata like the one used by SAS (CWM)
    There is a meta-data editor in Pentaho, but Kettle is not plugged in on that. Personally I don't mind that much anymore, I use to want some "external" meta data in Kettle, but experience learns that even if you have it you still run into walls upon changes.

- The use of LDAP for authentication
    Not yet, tracker has been open for it for some while. It's not high priority what I'm concerned, most people develop jobs on their local pc.

- The use of external schedulers
    There is no other practical way, so yes.

- impact analysis (i saw from the menu transformation in spoon something about impact analysis but i don't know how it works and how is it compared to the proprietary tools)
    Is available in a transformation itself (go to a step, right click on it and select Show inputs/outputs), but not accross transformations.

they ask also for an overview of PDI architecture.
    Sigh ... Matt once made a "conceptual model of kettle" in the docs directory It's probably easiest if you make yourself familiar with kettle.

Regards,
    Sven

Default PDI (Kettle), Talend, SAS, BO

Thanks alot for the quick answer, it was so helpful. i'll try to use an external scheduler and see if i will succeed or not.

Best regards
    hamma.

You just run kitchen or pan in that external scheduler.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks now it's working well, I used this command to run my job which runs my transformations to update my data warehouse:

kitchen.bat /rep:Ripository_Kettle_MySQL /job:Update_mysql_caccia2_Job /dir:/ /user:admin /pass:admin /level:basic

i wrote this command in a .bat file in the directory of kettle and used windows schedulor to run it in batch mode every day at a spcified time and it's working well (i used the wizard: start->configuration panel->planified tasks-> add new task ...). But when i try to do it from the command line "at" it fails i don't know why?

hamma