Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Mysql License

Default Mysql License

I am confused about the Mysql open source license. I get the impression that any application which I develop that uses Mysql OS must be made open source itself. If this is the case, how can Pentaho, a true OS application, use Mysql as the recommended RDBMS ?

SRA

If you're confused about the MySQL license you should ask in the MySQL forums, not Pentaho's

MySQL in Pentaho is only used as database (not required, you can use it), no source code changes in MySQL, no embedding, ... So whichever license you use for MySQL is ok for Pentaho. By the way the open source license of MySQL is GPL 2. That license specifies in "non-legalese" that if you modify or extend MySQL your changes should also be opened up, and if you link in GPL libraries your code should also be open source. Using the MySql JDBC driver will be considered a border-line case by legal people, but since Pentaho does not need MySQL to run I don't think it's it's a problem.

Even if it is required to open up, Pentaho is also open source which would make your point moot. And you don't have to use MySQL if you have something against it , Pentaho will work with any decent database.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 09-18-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Thumbs down Mysql License

Sven

Thank you for your excellent analysis. The problem really stems from the fact that the Mysql database will also be used for other applications and projects. So by adopting Mysql for Pentaho, I am locking myself into their license on my non Pentaho work. I really can't see my self maintaining two databases.

SRA

Sure, but as said: you are not bound to use MySQL. Oracle, PostgreSQL and MS-SQL server should work as well. Or you can use any other RDBMS that is supported by Hibernate, Kettle and Mondrian. There is no specific code inside Pentaho (other than working around driver issues or generating specific SQL for that library) that deals with MySQL or that requires MySQL to run. If in doubt, do what everyone else seems to do: Use PostgreSQL. It is good, it is reliable, and it has no weird license. Or use Oracle, if you have the money to spend. Or anything else that comes with a JDBC driver.

Remove the JDBC driver of MySQL and there will be not a single class that binds to "com.mysql.*" and thus you cannot violate the GPL.

(To be complete: You could also consider buying a commercial license of MySQL, if you want to. But thats no requirement either. Just an option)
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

The GPL licenses itself are not 100% sure (you can look in the FAQs at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html). I'm not a copyright lawyer but for JDBC drivers I would draw the line at compilation. If your code requires MySQL in order to compile you need to have the GPL enforced in your own parts, but if that's not the case then you can e.g. distribute your application and tell people to "get MySQL over there".

Regards,
    Sven

Can anyone let me know what is the connect string to connect to SQL Server 2005 for Pentaho Report Designer ?

Make a new thread in the proper forum ... as a first step.

Regards,
    Sven