Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: The filter can't send out all rows?

Default The filter can't send out all rows?

Hi guys,

have you ever found filter can't send out all messages?

the filter received 2126 rows, while one step followed the filter (dosomething a in my attached pic) received 125 rows, and the other (dosomething b) got 1000 row, and then kettle stopped here. All the following steps were stopped as well. The log displays all steps are running, but no rows added. everything stopped.

I had three lookups in my transformation which you can found in the trf.

NOTE: do something is actually something like sort, group by, that's, there's some calculation between lookup and the filter.

what's the problem? is the problem of filter or lookup? I tested in both 2.5.0 and 3.0.0.

if necessary, I can attached the whole transformation.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Attach your transformation, but try to change it so that we can run it without requiring database access or so.... either by using row generators or by replacing datatabase input by text input file.

Regards,
    Sven

ok. Let me change it.

It won't fix your problem, but it allows us to have a look at it.

Regards,
    Sven

I made changes to the transformation, and I attached it as well as the source which contains some Chinese characters (anyway, I'm Chinese). Please made some minor changes to the Excel input as the path should not work in your computer.

I replaced the lookup with the join as kettle 3.0.0 allows join (it doesn't work in kettle 2.50).

Expecting your replies.
    Attached Files Attached Files

more info...

I found that joining/looking up two streams which was stream but divided into two by a filter could cause this problem.

The transformation keeps running, but no more rows added to the stream. Definitely there are some problems here.

Thanks,

Samuel

That's a known problem, if you have a good example make a tracker at http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks, Sven.

I'll submit that to Jira later.

But do you have any suggestions on how to avoid this step?

I tried to add another source (the two same table input), which is too resource consuming and looks stupid to me.

I also tried to use two filters to replace one filter ( I thought the problem of the filter at first), and it doesn;t work.
    Any more good solutions? I Really need it. my database now is really 2 busy. I can't do this with sql in database, but I have millions of projects should follow this way.

God, please help me!!!!!!!!

if you split a stream/hop you can never later join them together with a merge-join... so easiest is to duplicate your input. If your input is a table input step, use 2 table input steps extracting the same data, ...

If you want to unload some burden off your database, extract the data once to a file and read that file twice e.g.

God is no longer here

Regards,
    Sven

thanks, Sven.

I'll make two inputs.

This problem seems common to me (not sure with others), so can it be solved in 3.0 RC1?

btw, God is always beside you if you believe Him .

The original idea was to pop up a dialog telling you that you're doing something not allowed. We'll have to check... make a tracker ;-)

Thanks,
    Sven

Sven,

I think this problem occurs if you only send rows over one arm and none over the other.
    Since the merging step reads from one input and then the other, it blocks on the input that doesn't receive anything.
    The buffers in the other arm fill up and then the transformation stalls.

In 3.0, this specific problem will no longer occur.
    That is because the merging step will always try to deplete both input streams, no matter what.
    I had to fix this to solve a clustering/repartitioning problem.

HTH,

Matt

Ok, didn't know that... I was only aware of the problem in 2.5.x. where there was suggested to put a warning/error dialog on that condition.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks, Sven and Matt.

is this solved in 3.0? M2 should still have the problem as I'm testing it on m2 of 3.0.

I hope I can use only one input~.

M2 should do the trick. If there aren't any other problems at play here.
    Try these to update M2:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kettle3/kettle-engine-3.0.jar
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/kettle3/kettle-ui-swt-3.0.jar

HTH,

Matt

Thanks, Matt.

But how can I update M2? I downloaded the two files , then copied them into Kettle/lib and replaced the former ones.
    After that, I tried to start spoon. The interface appeared and disappeared immediately.

Any method to update this? thanks.