Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI has wrong idea of current time (DST?)

Default PDI has wrong idea of current time (DST?)

Hi,

my timezone is CET (Central European Time) which is GMT+1, and currently daylight savings time is in effect which makes it GMT+2. I'm running Kettle on Linux.

I've noticed that the time that Kettle outputs in its logs is off by one hour (Kettle outputs 6:30 when it's 7:30 here, for example). The Get System Info step also returns the wrong value when asked for "system time (fixed)". How can this be fixed/avoided?

Edit: forgot to add, this is Kettle 2.5.1.

Thanks,
    Sergey
    Last edited by sergey.k; 09-20-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Adding Kettle version

Well... is your Linux properly setup qua timezones... If you do a "date", do you get the same time as Kettle or a different one.

Regards,
    Sven

Yes, it's set up properly. Here's the output from date:
    Thu Sep 20 08:38:13 CEST 2007

and date -u:
    Thu Sep 20 06:38:16 UTC 2007

Kettle thinks it's 7 AM:

# /opt/kettle/pan.sh -rep=nonexistent
    Stream not found for filename [/build_version.txt], looking for it on the normal filesystem...
    Unable to load revision number from file : [build_version.txt] : java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./build_version.txt (No such file or directory)
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: ./build_version.txt (No such file or directory)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:106)
    at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:66)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.version.BuildVersion.<init>(BuildVersion.java:65)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.version.BuildVersion.getInstance(BuildVersion.java:37)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.core.util.EnvUtil.addInternalVariables(EnvUtil.java:88)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.core.util.EnvUtil.environmentInit(EnvUtil.java:73)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.pan.Pan.main(Pan.java:51)

07:42:05,399 INFO [Pan] Pan - Start of run.

This makes me think Kettle forgets about DST for some reason.

Hmm, System.out.println(new java.util.Date()); outputs Thu Sep 20 07:46:18 GMT+01:00 2007

which means that it's Java that has no idea of DST. Now I wonder how I should fix it, but that's no longer a question for this forum.

Let us know what you change

Regards,
    Sven

Okay, found it. JRE has some weird rules for determining the current time zone on Linux (see http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view...bug_id=6456628). One of the rules is "look where the symlink /etc/localtime points to". But on my system (Debian) it wasn't a symlink but a real file so a different, bogus, rule applied ("find the file with the same contents in /usr/share/zoneinfo").

Once I changed /etc/localtime to be a symlink to /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Prague, Java dates started to work correctly. The bug page says it might break some other (native) Linux programs, we'll see.

Default Simpler and less risky solution

Adding the following line to my shell script fixed the issue for me without the need to change the /etc/localtime to a symlink:

export TZ=US/Eastern

-Dipin

Of course you should put in your actual timezone instead of "US/Eastern" which is what my timezone is.

-Dipin