Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle/PDI/Spoon 3.0 Fatal Error solution

Default Kettle/PDI/Spoon 3.0 Fatal Error solution

Solution: Use Java 5 (I used jre1.5.0_12) and not less than 1.5

Issue: I encountered the following error when trying to start Spoon/PDI 3.0 (M2 specifically) on a clean Linux box and couldn't find anything in the forums about Ljava.lang.Class and the LogWriter posts didn't seem to apply.

Yes, Sven, I did need a big sign. I hope this helps others who are signage-challenged like myself.

frethog

*******BEGIN ERROR********

ERROR 21-09 12:18:04,711 (LogWriter.java.println:386) -Spoon - Fatal error : java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: method java.lang.Class.asSubclass with signature (Ljava.lang.ClassLjava.lang.Class; was not found.
    ERROR 21-09 12:18:04,735 (LogWriter.java.println:386) -Spoon - java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: method java.lang.Class.asSubclass with signature (Ljava.lang.Class.Ljava.lang.Class; was not found.
    at org.pentaho.di.core.config.KettleConfig$2.end(KettleConfig.java:113)
    at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.endElement(Digester.java:1222)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(AbstractSAXParser.java:601)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:1772)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDriver.next(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:2923)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(XMLDocumentScannerImpl.java:645)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.java:508)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:807)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(XML11Configuration.java:737)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:107)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(AbstractSAXParser.java:1205)
    at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(SAXParserImpl.java:522)
    at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1827)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.config.KettleConfig.<init>(KettleConfig.java:51)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.config.KettleConfig.getInstance(KettleConfig.java:68)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.BaseStep.<clinit>(BaseStep.java:79)
    at java.lang.Class.initializeClass(libgcj.so.7rh)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.StepLoader.readNatives(StepLoader.java:99)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.StepLoader.read(StepLoader.java:90)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.createSpoon(Spoon.java:5020)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.run(Spoon.java:5343)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:349)
    Frethog's Beer Can Solar Heater:
    http://www.squidoo.com/beercansolarheater

Default Beer Can Transform

> Next, a Beer Can Transform for Kettle? Hmmm?

Give me the specs, I'll see what I can do.

Default you need to upgrade java

Default Same with jre-1.6.0_16-fcs.x86_64

Hi,

I have the same problem now on a new Centos 5.3 box with jre-1.6.0_16-fcs.x86_64 installed trying to work with PDI 3.2.0 Stable.

Any idea?

Thx

Sorry, my bad!

The admin forgot to point PATH to the new Java version. Now it works.

Sometimes one should just check which Java version is actually used when executing. ;-)