Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Can I pass a variable to a shell script?

Default Can I pass a variable to a shell script?

I have two variables defined in a transformation within the job. Is it possible to pass these two variables as arguements to a shell script step, defined a few steps later?

Also can I use a wildcard (*) in the file exists step of a job, i.e. check to see if any files exist in a directory?

For the first question: no... you can't use variables in the same transformation as where they are created (in 90% of the cases). Variable support in arguments to shell script job entry is also only available as of v.2.5.2

For the second question: no. But you can e.g. use get filenames step and then count how many files you have.

Regards,
    Sven

Has 2.5.2 been released? The latest I can find on sourceforge is 2.5.1. If not, is it possible to create a wrapper script around the kitchen.sh call that would define some variables and have those variable still be valid within a shell script step within the job?

2.5.2 is not yet released... For the wrapper no, maybe.... they're not actually 100% environment variables. You can define them in a kettle.properties file in the .kettle directory.

Regards,
    Sven