Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to get memo record from DBT file

Default How to get memo record from DBT file

Hi,

When I convert DBF file, which contains memo record, how could I get such memo record?

Hannah

Memo is not a standard type.

Can you convert it to string in your own SQL statement (that you enter in table input). Or just try String (or possibly binary) as type.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi, Sven,

I have a lot of record in my dbf file which contains memo columns. You mean I need to convert the memo column data to string one by one manually?
    It's ... too much effort.

When I checked the source code, I saw
    be.ibridge.kettle.core.Xbase.java

When the column is memo file, it shows...
    System.out.println("Field #"+i+" is a memo-field! ("+field.getName()+")")
    It means that the memo column is not supported?

Thanks in advance!
    Hannah

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post
    Memo is not a standard type.

Can you convert it to string in your own SQL statement (that you enter in table input). Or just try String (or possibly binary) as type.

Regards,
    Sven

cough ... not supported.... cough ... you could try to raise JIRA tracker for it.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks Sven.

How to raise JIRA tracker?
    and What's JIRA tracker?

Thanks.
    Hannah

cough ... not supported.... cough ... you could try to raise JIRA tracker for it.

Regards,
    Sven

http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI ... it keep tracks of bugs and improvement suggestions, this one for PDI.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks, Sven.

http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI ... it keep tracks of bugs and improvement suggestions, this one for PDI.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi, I'm trying to modify XBase class and javadbf classes to get memo fields but I'm not a java programmer...
    I applied the patch found on http://sarovar.org/projects/javadbf/ to make javadbf able to read memo fields. I attached the javadbf source code. But when I replace (the jar file goes in /libext/ directory) the old class for the new one in kettle and I try to use the XBase step it cracks with the following error:
    (at this point I think it should still work because I'm not using the new DBFReader constructor for the memo)

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.linuxense.javadbf.DBFField.getDataType()B org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.xbaseinput.XBase.getFields(XBase.java:105) org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.xbaseinput.XBaseInputMeta.getOutputFields(XBaseInputMeta.java:328) org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.xbaseinput.XBaseInput.processRow(XBaseInput.java:108)
    org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:40) java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I don't understand why kettle is not finding the getDataType method from the XBase class because I didn't change that class, any idea? thanks a lot
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Bronson; 02-27-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Please create a JIRA case for patches and improvements, it will go through triage that way and assigned to someone when time comes available.

Ok, I created the issue PDI-7468