Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Excel input sheet(s) name

Question Excel input sheet(s) name

We are building Kettle transformations(Version 2.4.0) to process input data in the form of excel sheets. If the sheet name is not consistent then we are facing a problem: the transformation is failing unpredictably.

Is there any work around or can we parameterize the Sheet name (variable or step output )? Is a later version addresses this problem?

Best,

Ravi

There's no way to parametrize it right now, and it suffers from the same problems as some other things people suggested for parametrization.

In your case I doubt it would even make much sense.
    - If the sheetname difference is by design you can duplicate your job
    - If the sheetname difference is by accident, you would still have the problem even if you could parametrize it.

Regards,
    Sven

Default How about this?

Ok i agree. However, is there a way to say pick the input data from sheet by the sheet count. Say, use sheet number 1 for the data and feilds regardless of what it is named? I presume give an option to mention the sheet sequence number if name fails and vice-versa. My 2 cents..

Thanks,

Ravi

Ravi, I'm not sure about 2.4.0, but I thought I made it so that if you don't specify any sheet names, that it reads the whole file.
    If you then include the sheet name in the output, you can indeed filter on it, even if the name is dynamic.

Default Reply to Matt

Matt,

I checked with version 2.5.0. I can't read an excel file without mentioning any sheet names in the input step tab. The transformation throws an "ArrayIndiexOutOfBoundsException" in the first step.

Did i miss something?

Thanks,

Ravi

> Did i miss something?

I guess only one thing: file a bug report/feature request: http://jira.pentaho.org
    At the moment I can't fix it or look it up for you. Maybe someone else has a workaround?

Matt

Default Any Update ??

I am running into same issues. It seems that we need to provide Sheet Name and Sheet name keeps changing.

It will be nice to be able to either specify SheetId instead of SheetName. But simple would be that if I don't specify any sheet name, the step should assume the configuration is for all sheets in the Excel file.

Is there any workaround for having changing sheet names?

Ravi, How did you solve the problem?

-rusang

Since neither you nor the GP took the effort to create a JIRA change request for it, it must not bother you guys too much ;-)

I wasn't aware that this thread earlier didn't result in a JIRA.

Here you go - PDI-273

-rusang

If every thread would result in JIRA, we would have thousands upon thousands of useless bugs :-)
    Thanks for filing that one!

Matt

When I saw this thread last comment was yours request to create a bug report, so I thought that this thread must have resulted in JIRA.

Of course, every thread can not result in JIRA

Will the fix go for both 2.5.1 and 3.0 or should I create a separate bug.

-rusang