Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Access to Progress Database?

Default Access to Progress Database?

One of the data sources that I need to read data from is a Progress data source. Currently, I don’ see an option for a Progress Connection type.

Is it possible to read Progress data within Kettle?

If it's not in the list it's not explicitly supported... if you have a jdbc driver you can still try via generic database but your mileage may vary.

Do you have a website of the database you're trying to access... of the database vendor?

Regards,
    Sven

I have actually had luck using odbc to access progress through Kettle I believe. That was a while ago though. I always had trouble finding JDBC drivers for Progress at the time I was working with it.

If by Progress, you mean their object store, well, that's an OODB (object oriented database), not an RDBMS.

If they have a relational interface, it could be feasible, otherwise you will probably have to code something up specifically for it.

Alternatively, if you can request XML data (WebService, export/backup, etc), that may be another option.

There are Progress ODBC and JDBC drivers around and they should work without a problem with PDI using the "Generic" database type.
    Progress may be OO (you probably mean Intersystems Caché) but I once did PM for a DWH on a Progress using Business Objects as a client. Although it was difficult at times (BO side) it worked.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge, none of the drivers are free as in beer and even less Free as in speech.

I did my part, even contacted Progress for a demo driver or something but all I got the run-around.

All the best,

Matt

Kettle is working pretty well on a Progress RDBMS (www.progress.com) - recently re branded as OpenEdge.
    We have an ongoing project on this.
    Progress (OpenEdge) is a relational DBMS not an OO one (ObjectStore which is a Progress Software subsidiary has an ODBMS but is a different product).

You should indeed use a ODBC/JDBC driver. The best Progress/OpenEdge drivers available you may find at datadirect.com (Datadirect was recently acquired by Progress but they are traditional players on data connectivity market doing drivers for many platforms including Progress). Idded the drivers are not free but you can get a trial version of 31 days from Datadirect.

Hope this helps,
    Dragos Matea

Default I have a Progress ODBC driver ; but

I have a Progress ODBC driver ; but using a Generic Database connection type, the following exception is thrown:
    Error connecting to database: (using class sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

I have created and tested the ODBC Data Source locally with the ODBC Administrator. Are there other steps I need to take?

Thanks!!!

Define them as system ODBC? try with another tool accessing the same name... I would assume you're ODBC connection is not properly done.

Regards,
    Sven

I have a system data source defined and I am able to connect with DBVisualizer.

The error the you get may be related to the fact that wrong data source name is specified as connection info within Kettle.
    In Kettle's Connection Info tab, within "Database Name" interface field, you have to specify the ODBC Data Source Name not the DB Name of the Progress Database.
    I'm not sure this is the cause but the field description "Database Name" may be misleading in this particular case.

In my case I've set-up a data source with the same name as the database name just to keep the things as simple as possible.

HTH,
    Dragos

Default YES!!!! I am connected

dragosm You was right. I was mislead by the "Database Name" lable. I changed the name ODBC datasource to match the Progress DB and I gained a connections right away..

Thanks for your help!!!

Default Openedge ODBC table not usable

Hello,
    Exploring a connection Schema area PUB. works fine but exploring theTable area returns SQL errors. The ODBC connection is working fine in MS.Access. I have attached some examples.
    Any ideas please?
    Many thanks, Gray
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Gray,

Just my 2cents but our supply chain uses progress and I connect via a SQL broker just fine. Apart from the worlds most useless error messages when you've got the syntax wrong I've not had any connection problems to our pub.* schema.
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

thanks for the 2p - are you using the Pentaho table copy wizard that offers the non PUB tables to pull from or using hand written sql that uses the pub.<tablename> convention?
    rgds 2p Gray

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/grayhamb/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

I have to use the latter out tables are bloody huge
    This is a signature.... everyone gets it.

Join the Unofficial Pentaho IRC channel on freenode.
    Server: chat.freenode.net Channel: ##pentaho

Please try and make an effort and search the wiki and forums before posting!
    Checkout the Saiku, the future of Open Source Interactive OLAP(http://analytical-labs.com)

http://mattlittle.files.wordpress.co...-bananaman.jpg

OK - is there a way however that Kettle will offer the PUB.* tables in its copy table wizard? Might you know why the tables are listed both under 'Tables' and 'Schema'?

Thumbs up defaultschema = pub

I found my clue on the Progress support pages re P21008. I inserted a parameter Option for the GenericDatabase called defaultschema with a value of PUB. Wizard setup works fine now I think,
    Job done.