Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Ask for tips to speed up database lookup, Insert, Upate

Default Ask for tips to speed up database lookup, Insert, Upate

Ask for tips to speed up database lookup, Insert, Upate.

I can get database read 1000 rows/second. But for database lookup, insert, or update, the speed is 4 rows/second.

I tried to run 5 copies of lookup simultaneously, but it appeared to be repeating doing the rowset 5 times. It was not distributing the work load.

Another thing I want to try is to increase JVM memory cache size. Where is it set for running a Transformation/Job?

Thanks,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by handtalk View Post
    Ask for tips to speed up database lookup, Insert, Upate.

I can get database read 1000 rows/second. But for database lookup, insert, or update, the speed is 4 rows/second.

I tried to run 5 copies of lookup simultaneously, but it appeared to be repeating doing the rowset 5 times. It was not distributing the work load.
    Depends on what kind of hops you ... you can eithe copy or distrubute. For lookups it shouldn't matter (if the outgoing order is not important). For update/insert you may have some problems if you can't split up your input (e.g. all keys lower than x , ....)

Another thing I want to try is to increase JVM memory cache size. Where is it set for running a Transformation/Job?
    A little tweak in the java command line of spoon.bat (or corresponding pan/kitchen script).

Regards,
    Sven

Check each step you are running independently -- the 'stream' will only go as fast as the slowest component/step.

I used to use the Blocking Step to check each portion. Another option is to output the stream to file at the end of a step, then read that file and begin the next step. It sounds time-consuming, but from-the-large of determining where your bottleneck is, this is the best approach.

If a step before the database insert/update is only running at 5 records/sec, the database step will only go 5 records/sec.

edit: right-click on your transformation, change 'Nr of rows in rowset' to increase its size. This occasionally increases performance for more memory, but also helps if you are running and watching the log-analyzer window.
    Last edited by dhartford; 10-05-2007 at 01:34 PM.