Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Logs in RC3 - Where?

Question Logs in RC3 - Where?

I've noticed there have been changes in logging on the last week(s). Now they don't go to server.log as usual.

Even setting log4j's value to DEBUG does not return anything, I don't have any pentaho*log file anywhere. Also, I was expecting more info in server.log but nothing.

What am I missing?
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

The only way I was able to get the logs was by changing the main jboss-log4j.xml. It appears to be completely ignoring the other one
    Pedro Alves

Are you editing the log4j.xml in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes? This is the file to modify if you'd like to change Pentaho logging. As far as where pentaho.log exists, try using an absolute path in log4j.xml in pentaho.war/WEB-INF/classes:

Code:
    <appender name="PENTAHOFILE" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
      <param name="File" value="/home/pentahouser/logs/pentaho.log"/>
      <!-- omitted -->
    </appender>

Yes, that's the file I'm editing. I was expecting the PENTAHOCONSOLE to report to the server.log, but maybe it's being filtered since the main jboss level is WARN.

Even with a full path I get nothing. As if jboss totally ignores it

EDIT: Found the reason. Since the build does not include a log4j.jar on the WEB-INF/lib, the classloader does not include it. Just adding it to that dir makes it work.

I guess that, for this to work, we have 2 options: change the build file so that pentaho bundles his own log4j.xml - thus ignoring the rules from jboss; or bundle the rules on the application server's log4j rules.
    Last edited by pmalves; 10-09-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    Pedro Alves

the file excludejars.jboss explicitly says that log4j should not be copied, and without removing this line pentaho's log definition will always be ignored. Is this supposed to happen?

Thanks
    Pedro Alves