Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Monitoring kettle activity: Howto?

Question Monitoring kettle activity: Howto?

I've searched in the wiki and found nothing regarding this; I want to be able to monitor what goes wrong in a transformation that is running in a production environment. I know kettle has solutions to this common problem, but what is the best way to do this?

I've seen the email job entry and the logging option pane in the transformation settings, but I'm not sure that it's meant for what I need. Any documentation available regarding this?

2nd question: having pentaho, I'm assuming the best way to run jobs is by using the schedule features of the bi platform, executing a xaction that runs the job from time to time instead of the usual pan|kitchen/cron methods. Am I right?

Thanks in advance
    Pedro Alves
    Meet us on ##pentaho, a FreeNode irc channel

That's for the moment still one of the weak points of Kettle IMHO. There's no nice and easy GUI to show you "log" files... for the moment send mails on success and error e.g.

I don't run the BI platform so I have little information on that.

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks Sven.

I also found this: http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/COM/...ional+Metadata

About showing log files, I guess I can use pentaho to do a report over the log table... If I get this model working I'll submit the .xaction + etc files. If course, if someone has already done this and want to share I'll appreciate it a lot!

Thanks
    Pedro Alves

I made following JIRA tracker: http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-286 Feel free to add information or vote for it

Regards,
    Sven

Still about the logging options: If I run it in spoon, the logging works ok. I get a line marked as status=end with all the relevant info.

However, if I run it from pentaho, the output is ok (my transformation is just a table input) but what is logged is a line with status=start and no line numbering information.

ps: where is that 'history view' the tutorial talks about?

Thanks
    Pedro Alves