Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho 1.6.0 - Setting up Windows service

Default Pentaho 1.6.0 - Setting up Windows service

I have previously installed Pentaho 1.2.1 GA version using the windows installer package provided. This worked very well and automatically created a Windows service.

I wish to upgrade to the latest 1.6.0 GA release. I managed to download and run this version easily but I am trying to set it up as a windows service the same as the 1.2.1 release.

I have attempted to utilise the javaservice.exe (jboss.exe) as per the 1.2.1 release. In order to install the service I copied the bin folder from the 1.2.1 release and edited serviceinstall.bat to make the necessary path changes for the new release jre location etc.

The new details are as follows:
    @echo off
    rem -- Check if argument is INSTALL or REMOVE

if ""%1"" == ""install"" goto install
    if ""%1"" == ""uninstall"" goto uninstall
    echo "ERROR: %1: Unknown option"
    goto end

rem --------------------INSTALL--------------------------------
    :install
    if ""%2"" == ""mysql"" goto mysql
    if ""%2"" == ""jboss"" goto jboss
    echo "ERROR: %2: Unknown option"
    goto end

:mysql
    "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin/..\bin\mysqld.exe" --install Pentaho_Mysql

--defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin/..\my.ini"
    start net start Pentaho_Mysql >NUL
    goto end

:jboss
    set java_home=F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\java\jre
    set jboss_bin=F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\jboss\bin
    "F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\bin\jboss.exe" -install "Pentaho BI Server Opensource Edition"

"%java_home%\bin\server\jvm.dll" -Djava.endorsed.dirs="%jboss_bin%\..\lib\endorsed"

-Djava.class.path="%jboss_bin%\run.jar;%java_home%\lib\tools.jar" -Xms128m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

-Dsun.rmi.dgc.client.gcInterval=3600000 -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=3600000 -start org.jboss.Main -stop

org.jboss.Main -method systemExit -out "%jboss_bin%\..\server\default\log\out.log" -err

"%jboss_bin%\..\server\default\log\err.log"
    ping -n 4 127.0.0.1 >NUL
    start sc description "Pentaho BI Server Opensource Edition" "The Pentaho BI Platform is an enterprise-class

Business Intelligence (BI) platform that supports Pentaho's end-user reporting, analysis, and dashboard

capabilities with back-end security, integration, scheduling, and workflow capabilities"
    start net start "Pentaho BI Server Opensource Edition" >NUL
    goto end

rem -------------------UNINSTALL-------------------------------
    :uninstall
    if ""%2"" == ""mysql"" goto mysql
    if ""%2"" == ""jboss"" goto jboss
    echo "ERROR: %2: Unknown option"
    goto end

:mysql
    call "F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\bin\servicerun.bat" stop mysql
    "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin/..\bin\mysqld.exe" --remove Pentaho_Mysql
    goto end

:jboss
    call "F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\bin\servicerun.bat" stop jboss
    ping -n 7 localhost
    "F:\pentaho\pentaho-opensource-1.6.0\bin\jboss.exe" -uninstall "Pentaho BI Server Opensource Edition"
    goto end

:end
    I check the registry for the service definition and everything looks correct.

Unfortunately the service fails to start and there is no indication of why in the log files.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction ?

Kind Regards
    Tony De Keizer

Is there anything in your event log (also in Administrative Tools)? Can you manually start the server (from the command line with start-pentaho.bat) without problems?

Thanks for your reply,

Nothing in the windows event logs except a service start failure for Pentaho. No additional details.

I can start pentaho from the command line.

It would seem that the command line being used by jboss.exe (javaservice.exe) is invalid and therefore failing immediately and not even getting to the point where an err.log file is available.

A little perplexing ??

Is it possible that the start class and method names are different for the version of jboss used in release 1.6.0 GA ?

Cheers
    Tony

Just thinking out loud here...is it possible that the "Run As" value defined in the Service settings needs tweaking? Just thinking it might be permissions related.

I had tried changing this to the local administrator but still no joy.

I ended up biting the bullet and migrating to the wrapper service mentioned in a number of other threads. Wasn't too bad to install and setup and worked.

Thanks for everyones help.

Cheers
    Tony