Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Parallel execution

Default Parallel execution

Hi everybody,

I have some questions concerning the parallel execution of jobs and transformations.

What I understood so far is that transformations are executed parallel by default. There is no such thing for jobs at the moment, if one wants to execute jobs in parallel one has to implement this by using an external scheduler.

This that correct?

Are there any plans to implement the parallel execution of jobs in PDI? Is there already an opened JIRA tracker for this?

Thx in advance,
    Ben

What I understood so far is that transformations are executed parallel by default. There is no such thing for jobs at the moment, if one wants to execute jobs in parallel one has to implement this by using an external scheduler.
    The steps in a transformation are executed in parallel. If you want to run transformations parallel you also have to use an external scheduler (because of the sequential processing of jobs ).

Are there any plans to implement the parallel execution of jobs in PDI? Is there already an opened JIRA tracker for this?
    No, no plans yet I think... and it would probably not be implemented I think. In jobs you need "sequential" execution because you want to control flow... you can't control flow when you run in parallel. I can see that it could be handy to start up multiple independent transformations in a job concurrently but this would make job design pretty complex... when to run concurrently, when to run sequentially, ...

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 10-12-2007 at 04:39 AM.