Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error Handling in Extraction

Default Error Handling in Extraction

Hi,

in the extraction fase we get data from different tables in a database. I want to test the connection and test if the tables exists. If not, i want to sent a mail AND populate a log-table i created.

It would be best if i can read a txt file, with all the extraction tables in it. Pass them through and test them 1 by 1. If 1 of them fails, a mail needs to be sent and the log_table has to added with the failure.

in a job i can test if a table exists, but only 1. and there i cannot use the error handling i can use in transformations. Does anyone have an idea about this?

thanks in advance,

Rob Smienk

You can use "error handling" in jobs... green arrows all is ok, red arrows on error... and you can sequence multiple "table exists" job entries.

Regards,
    Sven

thank you Sven,

i indeed use the green and red arrows. But i want to capture the error and put it in my own log_table.

and can you please give me more information about what you mean by sequence multiple "table exists"? i don't think i get what you mean.

You can execute multiple table exists after each other to check more than 1 table (hardcoding them) or you can use a job/subjob design and pass in the table names 1 by 1 using variables.

For logging errors that's currently not possible ... in transformations it's possible because the rows are "diverted", in jobs it's mostly flow control that is happening. It would make sense that the table exists job entry would log the error but as before currently not in the log table you want it to be probably.

Regards,
    Sven

ok... i get the error handling..

now about the job/subjob? How do i pass the tablenames between them? 1 by 1?

i now select them from a txt input file. Those are sent back to the job(copy rows to result)... but then i have 6 or something rows. How do i put them into a variable? or in a subjob, 1 by 1?

- A transformation A to read tablenames from somewhere and pass them to result (it's a step)
    - A transformation B reading a row from result and setting a variable with it (using set variable step)
    - Job C executing transformation B and then doing the table exists. C is run "for every input row".
    - Job D executing A and C in sequence.

Regards,
    Sven

again thank you Sven...

did it the way you suggested... frustrating now, that i cannot get the variables out. In the log it says: table [] doesn't exists.... frustrating... is there a way that i can sent you my ktr and kjb files, so you can help me a bit quicker?

attach them here (in a zip file e.g)... but make sure you remove all sensitive information. For the variables and table exists... I do think this is a 2.5.2/3.0 thing.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi,

i've attached them. Hope you can make something out of it.

gr,

Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Anyone an idea yet about this? What am i doing wrong?

In set variable I would change the "${EMAXX_table}" to "EMAXX_table"

For the rest I'll check later.

Mvg,
    Sven