Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to integrate Mondrian in own web application?

Question How to integrate Mondrian in own web application?

Hi.

I'm not experienced with java web applications, but i have to write one which is using Mondrian and i'm confused about how to integrate Mondrian.

I've exploded the mondrian.war on JBossAS (to directory deploy/mondrian.war), written an own cube, modified WEB-INF/queries/FoodMart.xml and WEB-INF/queries/mondrian.jsp so i can browse over my own database using the testpage.jsp.

The next step will be to integrate this functions in a own java web application on JBoss (maybe with JBoss Seam) but i'm not sure how to access Mondrian best way:

- Can i use JPivot in the same way the testpage.jsp uses it (without creating more then one modrian instance in my jvm)?

- Is Mondrian a (embedded-)server or a framework or a webapplication or a singleton class or what else?

- Should i access Mondrian from java code rather then from jsps?

- How can i use a jboss datasource instead of writting the connection url everytime i use the jp:mondrianQuery tag?

It would be great if somebody could explain this to me.

Al

Smile

I think for anyone to answer your question you'd have to give more specifics on your business requirements. Are you batch delivering reports to users? Providing ad-hoc interface to explore data? Providing some analytics to an existing transaction app? Mondrian can be used in-process (which is very easy to do) or as a separate server via XMLA.

Quote Originally Posted by benny_chow View Post
    Are you batch delivering reports to users? Providing ad-hoc interface to explore data? Providing some analytics to an existing transaction app? Mondrian can be used in-process (which is very easy to do) or as a separate server via XMLA.
    I want to write a multiuser web app which will provide an ad-hoc interface to explore data (maybe with jpivot) and which will deliver prepared reports on users requests.