Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table Output behavior

Default Table Output behavior

Hello.

I'm very new to Kettle and I'm using (playing would be more appropriate ) the latest 3.0RC? release.

I have a strong backgroung with SQL Server Integration Services and I'd like to learn Kettle to have another option when making proposal to my customers.

Ok, here's my problem. As far as I understand how the "Table Output" works, it use the column name from the stream to feed the table. Here's my scenario:

Table Input --> MySQL table

Select Value --> I'm using this transform to get rid of a few columns that are not used in the Output sequence (Could have get rid of them directly in my initial SQL clause but I'm just testing the various transform) and I also use this to rename one column so it match the Output table column name.

Table Output --> SQL Server table

When executing the whole process, it crash saying that a certain column can't be found (The column I'm renaming). I guess there is something I don't properly understand?

Thanks for any hints/help.

C.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hi ,
    This bug was fixed (revision 5507)
    Please see : http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-319

Rgds

Samatar

Cool, I'm glad I understood the concept well then

Thanks for the information.

Have u access to the source..or do you want me to send u the
    fixed file ?

Rgds

Samatar

No, I don't have access to the source. I'll wait for a new distribution available; as I said, I'm simply playing with the tool to familiarize myself right now so no worry, I have plenty of stuff to learn in here.
    Thank you for your help Shassan2

Ok .. and welcome to the Pentaho Data Integration community... :-)

Samatar

No sorry, you didn't understand the concept at all.
    The SELECT tab only selects the rows you want in that order. If you don't want certain fields, just leave them out of the field list in the SELECT tab.
    There is absolutely no point in using the SELECT and REMOVE tabs at the same time.

HTH,

Matt

Oh I see...

Why having both tabs then if they kinda do the same thing but a different way?

Select : Returns the columns you want

Remove : Remove the columns you don't want ?

Oh well, I understand the confusion. It was an optimization for the re-ordering problem that we had when we just had the single tab in the earlier 2.x versions. It was just a lot faster to remove one or two fields from the input rows than it was to re-assemble and re-order a complete row. In version 3 this is no longer really the case, both are about the same in speed.

Just changing the name of a field is still a lot faster than either with the metadata tab. In version 3, it has achieved optimal speed since data and metadata are separated. As such, in your case for example, we just pass the same row of data along and modify the metadata once at startup. In version 3, the field name in each row needed to be changed.

All the best,

Matt