Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Java API as a datasource?

Default Java API as a datasource?

Hello!
    I'm pretty new to Pentaho and Kettle, so i hope I can get some tips from you experts

I work on a system called HISP(Health Information Systems Programme).

My task is that I want to create some reports from this system, using Pentaho.
    My problem is that I want to use the Java API from the system as a datasource for data integration.
    In my service-layer I have f.ex a lot of set/get-methods, that I want to use to get data from the database.

Do I have develop a plugin in Kettle to make this work, or is it another, more easier way to do this?

Thankful for all tips!!

Reports are not via Kettle ;-)

If you want to extract data from a proprietary system (non-JDBC) and output them somewhere as feed for reporting you probably need an own developed step. Already 1 note beforehand, your data has to be mostly in tabular format if you want to do any other processing with it in Kettle (think database table rows).

Besides/instead of a making a step there are also exist extension points in the reporting tools to get at your data. Have a look at http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/Repo...DataProcessing e.g.

In Kettle it's probably easier to bypass your system and directly go to the database. Or even bypassing PDI if it's just reporting and you're data is in the right/almost right format.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 10-30-2007 at 09:32 AM.

I know that Kettle is not a reporting tool:-)
    But the way i've understood Kettle, is that Kettle can, on behalf of the users spesifications, produce a new database, based on different datasources.

The reason that we want to use the Java API, instead of get data directly through the database is that this is a very big open source project and the database change very often.
    But the API is very constant, so this is the reason..
    I we use the database directly, we may have to change our spec for reporting also very often. And we hope to avoid that..

So I thought that we can use Kettle for the integration, and a reporting tool for actually produce the reports..

Is it a way we can do this in Kettle?

It can transform data, normally I would not include DDL as part of Kettle (but if you write the proper shellscripts and are willing to give DBA rights to your scripts you can work around that).

I vaguely remember you can use a transformation as datasource for reporting, but I've never used it. Someone else on this forum probably has

If it's just to "hide" your database I would not use Kettle, then I would try to make my custom custom datasource in the reporting tool (as a last resort).

How it works with normal datawarehousing projects is:
    a) You have some pieces of incoming data, they got uploaded/tranformed into an ODS... uploaded optionally to an ADS e.g. and eventually loaded the data into a datamart... this is with ETL
    b) The reports run against the datamart... this is cubes/reports

As long as b) is stable, a) can change how ever it wants (if you change the ETL accordingly)

But I think your "excuse" for a lot of database changes is a bit bogus. It cannot be that you have daily/weekly changes to a productive database ... additional tables and some DDL alterations, maybe during development, but not when a system is in production. At the end of a development cycle you have to have everything in sync again to be able to run reports against the database, but every project has that.

Keep It Simple and Stupid... the more "hip" developers want to be, the more problems they create. The more components you have in your solution, the more problems you will face.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi Morten,

I think creating a plugin like you suggested over e-mail would not be a bad idea.
    Contact me directly if you need help. There are a few sample plugins over here to look at:

http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/EAI/...ation+Plug-Ins

Good luck!

Matt