Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle 3.0 RC2 - working with Kettle 2.5.1 Jobs / transformations

Default Kettle 3.0 RC2 - working with Kettle 2.5.1 Jobs / transformations

I just downloaded Kettle 3.0 RC2 to test it.

I have a Job that includes a number of transformation steps. The location of the transformation step is prefixed by an environment variable that points to a root directory.

For Example :

${KETTLE_REPOSITORY_HOME}\TestTransformation.ktr

I have set the environment variable, however unable to open the transformation from spoon.

What do you mean with unable to open from spoon?

Do you have this problem at design time, how are you trying to open the job?
    Do you have the problem at runtime, if so which error message do you get?

Regards,
    Sven

Sven - in Spoon I right-click on an transformation and say open Transformation. This works in 2.5.1 when the environment variable is set.

I did notice that all files in 3.0 were prefixed with file:///. I tried that too with no success. However if I do not use a variable as the Transformation filename spoon is able to open the transformation.

NOTE : This is a design time issue. I have not tested runtime.

It works for me, but you can't use environemnt variables of course... define your variable in the kettle.properties file and try again.

Regards,
    Sven

So - does that mean that variables are not supported in 3.0 ? Why was this change made.

I uses it as a mechanism by which to to exchange information from the application and kettle.

Real environment variables were never supported, variables are still supported but they are "kettle variables" ... Are you sure you didn't tweak the scripts in 2.5 to pass the enironments variables into Kettle.

Regards,
    Sven

Sven - could you please clarify what works for you.

I have a job that includes transformations where the transformation filename is of the form '${KETTLE_REPOSITORY_HOME}\setup.ktr'

I go to spoon and set the environment variable Edit / Set Environment Variable KETTLE_REPOSITORY_HOME to a value such as 'c:\kettlescripts'.

I now right click on the transformation and say open transformation and am led to an empty transformation. This is the same behavior I observed in 2.5.1. when I had not 'Set Environment Variable'.

Please confirm that this works for you.

If you put the variable in kettle.properties it works. So raise a JIRA tracker for your problem.

Regards,
    Sven