Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32

Default Problems with CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32

Hi all,

A couple of questions:

I was an avid user of CD 0.7.0 (back in my happier Windows XP days...) and see that -among other things- certain parts of the UI, and moreover the Query Builder has changed. I'm still struggling to get the 1.6 version of the PDI (terrible problems with telecomm connections ....)

1) Using CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32:

In the CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32 version I have just installed, I can see my DB tables on the canvas and can select the fields I need to populate my SELECT. However, for some strange reason, I cannot get a "WHERE", "GROUP BY", "HAVING", or "ORDER BY" statement to be included in my query statement. All that is allowed is the "SELECT" which is done via the "check" on each field.

Can anyone explain how to get the referenced statements active? I have tried clicking, control-clicking, dragging & droping, etc., etc. and neither can activate these (i.e. "WHERE", "GROUP BY", "HAVING", or "ORDER BY").

Furthermore, please confirm if the Query Builder canvas (i.e. where the tables/fields appear - on the right-hand side) is supposed to have a "black" background.

By the way, is there a more up-to-date CD User Guide (at least to include the changes included in 0.7.0.2?

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium and after reading the CD Quick Start on http://forums.pentaho.org/showthread.php?p=171243 I suspect I also have some JRE/JDK issues involved.

2) CubeDesigner-0.7.0 in Windows VISTA Home Premium

When trying to use the CD 0.7.0 version, in the Query Builder, I cannot get access to the "WHERE" statement. When clicking on the arrow-button to drop-list the fileds to use, said list comes up for less than a split-second, not allowing me to make my field selections. I enclose a screenshot showing the "arrow-button to drop-list the fileds to use", for a better understanding of my question.

Again, I understand that my problem could involve my JRE/JDKs, but in any event would appreciate learning from the feedback.

Thanks and regards, dtm
    Last edited by DMurray3; 02-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Smile

Hi,

In Pentaho Mondrian Cube Designer v0.7.2.0,
    -Second screen's (Map Tables) background is black
    -This second screen is divided in 3 parts :
    1. the black area where tables are displayed
    2. a schema explorer on the bottom left
    3. a query explorer on the top left
    In the query explorer, you can right click WHERE or HAVING, then left click Add condition.

a+,=)
    -=Clément=-

Default Further on Problems with CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32

Clement, Thanks for the reply...

I downloaded your package (took me 3+ hours...), only to have a number of extraction errors(I am using Winrar... can these be overiden?). Until I can get my hands on the 1.6 PCI, I am working with an earlier version (V1.2.0 build 534 GA) that hasn't given me any problems on my Windows VISTA Home Premium.

I followed your "Quick Start", setting and updating the JAVA_HOME. I enclose the detail of my Environment Variables, and also created my JNDIs.

***StartEnvironment Variables:
    System Variables.-
    CLASSPATH: .;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    ComSpec: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
    FP_NO_HOST_CHECK: NO
    JAVA_HOME: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_02\
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS: 2
    Path: C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin;C:\mysql-connector-java-5.0.4-bin.jar;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\jdbc\postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc2.jar;C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\jdbc\postgresql-8.2-504.jdbc3.jar;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\
    PATHEXT:.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC
    PROCESSOR_ARQUITECTURE: x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER: x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 12, GenuineIntel
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL: 6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION: 0e0c
    QTJAVA: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
    RoxioCentral: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\Roxio Central33\
    TEMP: C:\Windows\TEMP
    TMP: C:\Windows\TEMP
    USERNAME: SYSTEM
    windir: C:\Windows
    ***End Environment Variables

I do have CD 0.7.02, and did create a shortcut to read:

"C:\NewPentaho\CubeDesigner-0.7.2.0_Win32\Cube Designer\CubeDesigner.exe" -vm "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_11\bin\java.exe" -clean -ws win32

I iniatially tried the CD using the shortcut, but: a) none of my JNDI sources appeared; b) When trying to write a new one, I continously got a problem with the "...driver..." and furthermore, the only driver stated in the dropdown list was ...ojdbc14.... I had to replace the existing one for MySQL in \lib\jdbc\... with mysql-connector-java-5.0.4-bin, which I know works with my PCI.

After udating the mysql jdbc, and again attempting to launch the CD using the shortcut as noted above, still none of my jndi sources appear on Screen-Step 1 of CD; I had to launch the CD directly using the .exe that comes with CD, and then my jndi sources did appear and my mysql conection was succesfull.

When trying to write my query (i have a single fact table with the dimensions included), after having selected my fields (SELECT... FROM...), I still can't get the WHERE, GROUP, HAVING and ORDER to activate, regardless if I right-click, lect-click, ctrl-right-click, ctrl-left-click, etc. these on the Query Explorer (I have tried on the "WHERE" word as well as on it's icon.. to no avail). On clicking any of these, the only thing I achieve is to "blue highlight" either WHERE, GROUP, HAVING and ORDER, and no signs of the possibility of adding any of these conditions.

I notice that there is no button to preview the query data as existed in previous versiones of CD??

I have also tried using a CD 0.7.0 (but still cannot use the WHERE and HAVING conditions, because of the same problem which I posted in my original thread (on clicking the arrowbutton the field dropdown list shows very breifly and does not allow to select...).

In any event, I continued my excersise (setting messures, dimensions, etc.), was able to Preview the xml file, and was allowed to "Publish".

After refreshing my PCI repository (Admin - Solution Repository), my test cube was displayed. I must admit that the PCI is taking a little bit more than what I remembered to resolve the cube and display its results (I'm only using some 100,000+ records).

Long story..short...I'd appreciate any assistance on you part and would welcome anyone of the more seasoned users to look into this.

Kind Regards, DMurray3

Smile

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by DMurray3 View Post
    (...)I followed your "Quick Start"(...)
    I have updated my Quick Start topic :
    -deleted all reference to my package which was made with a previous version of Pentaho_demo
    -deleted the set JAVA_HOME part as it was only usefull in some particular cases, not actually for the purpose of this topic
    -note that Quick Start instructions are intended to let you see only Pentaho_demo's sample data JNDIs. You seem to use postgreSQL data source, I can help you to configure CD if it is the case. Without doing anything else than unzipping CubeDesigner-v0.7.2.0.zip and run CubeDesigner.exe, you should see several drivers in the list. You can't see Add condition because your datasource maybe empty or could not be accessed.
    I notice that there is no button to preview the query data as existed in previous versiones of CD??
    I have never used CubeDesigner previous version.

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

Default Clement - Continued: Problems with CD 0.7.2.0 with W/Vista

Clement, Thanks for the reply.

When using CD 0.7.2.0 directly from the .exe (ie. without the shortcut), as mentioned previously, my datasources appear; I am using a MySQL data source.

The 1st screen shot I am incluidng (Screen0) shows that my JNDI data sources are available.

The 2nd sreen shot shows the query builder (Screen1), reflects 4 tables in my MySQL database; I can successfully specify the table I want to use and the fields I want to select. Consequently I understand my data "is accessible".

However as you can see, I am trying to add an ORDER BY condition, but clicking the ORDER BY (word or icon), does not open or activate this condition (it only highlights it). The same goes for all the remaining conditions.

I'm just guessing but (my technical expertise is NULL).... instead of being a database accessiblity problem, couldn't this rather be a problem caused by jdk / jre interfering with the GUI of the CD or with the LeonardoSQL builder?

Again, I am very thankfull for your support... DMurray3

Default Clement - Here are my problems Screenshots

I mistakenly skipped attatching the mentions screen shots... Sorry... here they are. Thanks...
    Last edited by DMurray3; 02-21-2008 at 10:39 AM.

Smile

Hi,

Yes, your data source is available.
    I don't think you will have a Java problem since the known Java problem is not getting the table list, and on your screen I can see it.In the query explorer, once checked, your attributes will be available under the SELECT "directory".
    To add an "ORDER BY" condition, right click one of your attributes from this SELECT "directory" and left click "Add to ORDER BY".

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

Default Clement: Still not able to apply WHERE/ORDER conditions

Clement, thank you for your patience...

I have tried right clicking the data fields in the SELECT directory (upper left-hand pane), but nothing happens.

I get no display to allow me to "Add to ORDER BY" or any other conditions for that matter. All I notice is what I consider to be a "screen flash or blink" which I imagine is the "Add to" dropdown, but regarless that I may hold the right-click button down I am not able to select any of the conditions.

This problem is almost the same as I originally posted (see thread 173697) when using CD 0.7.0, whereby I could not get the WHERE condition arrow button to show my field list.

Again I ask if their could be some kind of incompatiblity in the GUI that is not allowing the "Add to.." list to stay on screen?

Any ideas or next in-line solution?

Regards, DMurray3

Smile

Hi,

In the following thread :
    http://forums.pentaho.org/showpost.p...45&postcount=5
    we can read that Query Builder's "Add to" features were imported "as is" and are not used by Mondrian.
    Obviously, I ignored that.
    From that point, we may stop trying to resolve all "Add to" related issues.
    Moreover, It's a good example of the fact the Cube Designer is no longer (if it has been) Pentaho's priority.
    Nevertheless, I think that it is a good thing to still have this support forum in case someone would resume Cube Designer's development.

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

Thanks again for you support. I am working my way around the "Add to"....

Regards, DMurray3