Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Clustered Environment Setting Question

Default Clustered Environment Setting Question

Daer All..

Suppose that I have 5 computers, including 1 local computer(10.20.86.1) and 1 master server(10.20.86.2) and 3 slave servers(10.20.86.3~10.20.86.5) within my LAN. All Im going to do is letting my Ktr file run on local computer for clustered processing between master and slave.

My questions are as follows:

1. For the master server and 3 slave servers:

I unzip Kettle-3.0.0-RC2.zip on C:\ and type Carte.bat 10.20.86.2 8080 ~ 10.20.86.5 8080 under C:\Kettle-3.0.0-RC2\ in Command Prompt individually for these 4 computers in order to start as a server.
    Is this setting process correct?

2 For local computer:

I just only unzip Kettle-3.0.0-RC2.zip on C:\, using Spoon for executing my Ktr file. Firstly, I specify slave servers in Kettle. In setting up slave servers, I check on "Is the master" checkbox for 10.20.86.2 only and set Username/Password as cluster/cluster for 10.20.86.2~10.20.86.5 individually. Secondly, I specify a cluster schema which are involved slave servers I set up before. Thirdly, I select a schema(set up before) on a step where I want to execute in clustering. And Finally I run such transformation in Clustered Mode.
    Is this setting process correct?

Thanks for helping me again!!

Regards,
    Jeff

Seems about right... but only use it if you really need to for performance reasons. As rule of thumb I would not even consider parallel processing under 10 million rows. Above 50 million rows it's probably a must, anything in between is a grey area depending on requirements.

- The more moving parts the more chance of something breaking
    - Parallelism/clustering does require more planning/designing

Regards,
    Sven

aye..

Thanks so lot, Sven

Regards,
    Jeff

- You always need one master slave server defined in a cluster schema, even if all steps in the transformation are running clustered
    - You can define the master to be on the same slave server as one of the other slaves. (it's just a logical "address")
    - You can have a step run in multiple copies PER slave server if you create a partitioning schema and apply that to the step
    - All data passes over TCP/IP sockets from master to slave (and in case of re-partitioning, from slave to slave too)
    - Data serialization over TCP/IP sockets takes CPU time. Sometimes this is a lot, sometimes not. (lazy conversion is very efficient in this case)
    - To see how the split of the original transformation happens, you can disable all clustering options in the execution dialog and enable "Show transformations"

HTH,

Matt

Thx for ur tips.. Matt

Regards,
    Jeff