Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle Properties

Thumbs up Kettle Properties

Hi guys,

I was wondering if kettle cold read the kettle.properties files , from the application before executing a Job or a Transformation.

When we are designing a new Job/trans and setting environment variables in this archive, sometimes you change values or variable names, and every time you do this, you have to restart kettle, so it can accept the new kettle variable or value.

1. Is there a way to have a buttom that at users option, could refresh the environment variables so that if there has been a change in a variable value, that value will be available to run the process.

2. Or, Every time you run a job/trans the process reads first the kettle.properties and then proceeds to run the process.

When you execute a job/trans from the command line it works like I mention in point 2, when I change a variable value in Kettle.properties and run the job/trans it reads this archive first. For some reason from within the aplication it does not perform this way.

Any comments,

Regards,

Ben

For the command line it works because every time you start up a completely new VM of course.

In spoon it just gets read once... Someone could be changed but then you would have other problems: if you remove values of the kettle.properties file how will you know the value was removed ... it would still be in your system properties.

Regards,
    Sven

How do you execute a job/trans from the command line?

jobs via kitchen, transformations via pan. Both applications have a userguide under docs\english.

Regards,
    Sven