Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Modified Javascript: good script doesn't pass syntax check, str2date

Question Modified Javascript: good script doesn't pass syntax check, str2date

I have the following situation: one of my input fields contains a date in Julian format (e.g.: "2007/300") OR a string constant ("PERMANENT" or "WHILECATLG"). The Julian dates parse easily using the format: "y/D", but the string constants cause parsing errors, so i'm reading this field as a String and parsing it later in a modified Javascript step.

The input field mentioned above is RETSTR. I used "add constants" to add a RETDATE field, with value of Date. Then, in Modified Javascript, i have:

rstr = RETSTR.getString()

if ((rstr == "PERMANENT") || (rstr == "WHILECATLG"))
    {
    // nothing
    }
    else
    {
    RETDATE.setValue(str2date(rstr, "y/D"))
    }

This looks right to me, and it works fine if i run a "preview" or "debug" of the transformation. But the "Test Script" button returns "Could not apply the given format on the string : Format.parseObject(String) failed (script#40)". The same thing happens when i try to run the transformation.

I used Javascript Alert to display the value of rstr before the str2date above (Alert(rstr)), and i get "test value test value test value test value".

So it's looking like to me that the Modified Javascript step uses that string ("test value test value test value") as a placeholder for the value of the string variable, and of course the compile fails.

Is this a known problem? Is there any way around this? Javascript is not my forte, but i've checked the available documentation for things like error handling and exception handling, but i'm not finding anything.

Note: I've tried this with Kettle 2.5.1 and 3.0, with the same results.

Thank you,

glauber

It's a known 'problem'... http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-160

Regards,
    Sven

Thanks. It would be nice if we could still run the transformation, but Kettle seems to run a syntax check when it gets to the Modified Javascript step, and stops the transformation there.

That script just hurts my eyes...
    This would seem better form:

Code:
    var returnDate = RETDATE.getDate();

if ( !rstr.equals("PERMANENT") && !rstr.equals("WHILECATLG") )
    {
      returnDate = str2date(rstr, "y/D");
    }

You probably meant

Code:
    var retentionDate;
    var rstr = RETSTR.getString();

if ( !rstr.equals("PERMANENT") && !rstr.equals("WHILECATLG") )
    {
        retentionDate = str2date(rstr, "y/D");
        RETDATE.setValue(retentionDate);
    }
    ... which of course still doesn't work.

I didin't write the if statement like this becasue i don't like double negatives (if not this and not that).

But thanks for the Javascript tips.

I couldn't care less about the "if" statement.
    Using the setValue() method is actually bad form if you ask me.
    It was a good idea originally, but JavaScript is just not the right language for it.

For the reasons behind it:

http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/EAI/...2.5.x+to+3.0.0

Matt

Cool, this brings up something else i meant to post about. I stumbled upon the URL you mention earlier today, when i was looking for ways around the script validation problem.

How do we modify a field's value without using setValue()? Assigning to the field directly doesn't seem to work. (If we can't change the value of a field, is there still value in using Javascript?) Creating a new field with the new value would be ok too, as long as the result of the Javascript can be passed to the next step in the transformation.
    Last edited by glauber; 11-16-2007 at 05:55 PM.

In 3.0 without compatibility on, you don't have Values but your row consists of actual Long, Strings, ... Because conversion in JavaScript is sometimes lose, changing a value in place is not the best in some cases.

You can add new fields in the bottom table to be passed to the next steps, and directly assign values to that field to pass it to the next step.

Regards,
    Sven

Allright, Sven, this works! Thanks!!!

(Now if i can figure out a way to parse those dates without triggering the script validation bug, i'll be set!)
    Last edited by glauber; 11-16-2007 at 06:29 PM.

It's not a compilation/validation bug, the problem is just that the input row when using the test button is filled with "dummy data" and if you assume in your javascript code some field needs to be of a certain format you may get an exception thrown at you.

The step will run and preview ok (with correct input data), the test button in such a case will be useless. The problem is logged in JIRA... vote for it

Regards,
    Sven

so it does. Thanks again. I don't know why my script was failing; i got it to work now.