Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Performance issues in design time

Default Performance issues in design time

I have two exactly same tables. Let we say tableA and tableB with identical structure, in the same database, created using same account etc... tableA is empty, tableB has 4 Milion rows. I have Table Input step using simple 'select ... from tableA / tableB' statement without any where condition, order by etc. There is no other step in the transformation.

Now when I right click the step and select Show output fields, there are performance differences between empty and non-empty table. On empty table I get the answer immediatelly, on the large table it takes about 5 minutes (!) and CPU utilisation raises to 90% all the time. I can not see any locks on the database (SQL Server 2000). Once the structure has been discovered, there are no performance problems later in the same session (i.e. until restarting spoon), even when changing between tableA and tableB in the from part of the statement.

Does it mean, that PDI is selecting the data when describing the output structure ?

OK, I analyzed the sql statement sent to the database and really - PDI is selecting the all 4 Million rows !!!!

FYI - Here is the code to get the last sql statement on MS Sql Server 2000 for session 52

DECLARE @Handle binary(20)
    SELECT @Handle = sql_handle FROM sysprocesses WHERE spid = 52
    SELECT * FROM ::fn_get_sql(@Handle)

reports

dbid objectid number encrypted text
    ------- ----------- --------- ------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (null) (null) (null) false ()SELECT
    RCLNT
    , GL_SIRID
    , RLDNR
    , RRCTY
    FROM tableB

It's highly likely that coming from SQL, there is no other way to find out the layout of the return table.
    By the way, we do pass all sorts of hints to the database to indicate we only want a single row.
    However, "certain" databases simply don't want to listen ;-)

The reason the query isn't executed twice is because the result is cached. You can clear the cache by clicking right on the database connection and selecting the appropriate option.

Matt

You know what Robert? I just figured out a way around that problem.
    I hope it works on all database, but I have good hopes it does.

Matt

If you are running version 2.5.x, give this kettle.jar a try (2.5.3 preview) : http://kettle.s3.amazonaws.com/kettle.jar
    Copy this jar file into the lib/ directory and see if it still takes 5 minutes.
    (if not, download 2.5.2 and do the same)

Please make sure to clear your database cache before trying to get the output fields of the "Table Input" step.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

All the best,

Matt

YES ! It works, tested at my Microsoft SQL Server 2000. Thanks very much for your help.

You're welcome. The fix should appear in upcoming releases: 2.5.3 and 3.0.1