Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Migration to Pentaho

Default Migration to Pentaho

Hi all...

Anyone had some experience migrating ETL jobs to Pentaho (Kettle)? Any experience converting jobs from IBM Data Stage to Pentaho?

Thank you in advance.

Razer.
    ----------------------------------
    Razer - Curitiba - Brazil
    (razer [at] razer [dot] org

There are no conversion tools if that's what you mean. If you're in a regular datastage shop where the "shiny objects" are not used (meaning: most of the real jobs are input, transformer, output) conversion can be done almost one-on-one.

1 thing missing from PDI right now is a server kind of part (no "DataStage Director" for PDI yet), but that's in the pipeline for the next version... or so I heard

Regards,
    Sven

I don't need "automatic" migration (well, if it exist I would appreciate hehe). I need to know about effort to convert Jobs from IBM Data Stage to Pentaho... Maybe someone already had this kind of work.

It seems to me that MOST of jobs can be done easily, but what worry me is that low percentage of work that can be, or very dificult or impossible to do (because features not implemented yet).

Any advise?

Thanks.
    ----------------------------------
    Razer - Curitiba - Brazil
    (razer [at] razer [dot] org

It seems to me that MOST of jobs can be done easily, but what worry me is that low percentage of work that can be, or very difficult or impossible to do (because features not implemented yet).
    Is always a problem when moving from 1 ETL tool to another, and most of the time ETL vendors are not going to making it easier... once locked in...

But having done some ETL conversions in the past anything can be done with a little effort (especially if your problems occur in only a small percentage). What features do you think you miss in PDI?

Ask for the same advice on dsxchange ... and probably be ready to be shot over there

Regards,
    Sven