Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: User Input?

Default User Input?

I'm using the pivot viewer to display the results of an analysis query, but I'd like to make it a little easier for some of the end users.

I am trying to run a query that displays just a small range of dates. If I just plug in the MDX with the dates hard coded into it, it works fine.

What I want to do is prompt the user for the dates and use those values in the mdx, but I haven't had much luck.

1) When I set up an xaction to prompt for the values, I get the following message displayed on the screen after the user enters the information This page cannot be accessed directly. It must be linked to from other pages

2) Assuming I can get past the first issue, how do I pass the values into the pivot viewer so that I can use them in the MDX query. I've tried declaring it as an action-input with no luck.

3) And finally what is the format for using an input variable in an MDX query? One example I saw showed something like ${input_variable_name}, but when I try that I get a "not found in cube" message. I've been testing the query in the MDX Query Editor instead of changing the actual xaction. Once I have it working, I'd like to have the xaction define the query so the user never has to look at the MDX.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith

I was able to solve my problem with a little trial and error.

Problems 1 and 2 were actually the same problem. I had declared my <inputs> as
    Code:
    <Mar1StartDate type="string">
     <sources>
      <request>StartDate</request>
     </sources>
     <default-value><![CDATA[2007-01-03]]></default-value>
    <Mar1StartDate>
    All I needed to do was change StartDate to Mar1StartDate in the <request> line.

Problem #3 was because I was doing ${variable_name}. When I stripped off the $ and just used {variable_name} everything worked. I still ran into some issues trying it with the MDX editor, but it worked fine placing the query in the xaction (which is where I was going with this anyway).

I've attached the xaction in case it helps someone else in the future. It prompts the user to enter a start and end date and then restricts the query results to that date range.

Keith
    Attached Files Attached Files