Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Extra fields == variables?

Default Extra fields == variables?

Hi,

I'm working with kettle this week at first, before I used another ETL tools. I'm trying to find in kettle similar funtionalities I used in other tools, that's why I want to ask you if exists one transformation or similiar to add new fields to the flow, I mean, you start with your input fields but sometimes you need extra fields to store some derived information, in kettle I have to use variables, or are there other ways?

Another question, the way to define variables, is always using the kettle.properties file?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Ana.

Quote Originally Posted by ansalort View Post
    Hi,

I'm working with kettle this week at first, before I used another ETL tools. I'm trying to find in kettle similar funtionalities I used in other tools, that's why I want to ask you if exists one transformation or similiar to add new fields to the flow, I mean, you start with your input fields but sometimes you need extra fields to store some derived information, in kettle I have to use variables, or are there other ways?
    Most of the steps add additional fields to your rows on output, in javascript you can add them "explicitly".

Quote Originally Posted by ansalort View Post
    Another question, the way to define variables, is always using the kettle.properties file?
    Via set variables/get variable step or setVariable/getVaribiable in javascript step ... but you can't set and use variables in the same transformation (then you need more transformations).

Regards,
    Sven

OK, thanks Sven for your helpful comment.

It is difficult for me find the same functionalities in this tool, but with your help it is easier

Regards,

Ana

Which other functionality are you looking for?

Regards,
    Sven