Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Several problems when upgrading to PDI 3.0 GA

Default Several problems when upgrading to PDI 3.0 GA

Hi everybody,

I just gave PDI 3.0 GA (another) try and ran into several issues.

I created a new repository using the 3.0 GA build.

1.) I tried to create a new database connection using the repository explorer (right-click, "New Database"). I wasn't able to insert any variables than the internal.kettle.-variables by using the CTRL+Space shortcut. However, if i try to add the connection using a step that uses a database connection (e.g. table input) everything works as expected. (Note: I'm using the kettle.properties file to define all parameters needed for my basic connection, so they should always be available).

2.) After that, I created a job that uses the connection set up before. In the Log tab, I select the connection and define a logging table. When I hit the SQL button, the table gets created and everything is fine. However, if I close the job and open it again, clicking the SQL button now will result in error:
    E/A-Exception: invalid number format for port number.
    Looks like the variables used by the connection don't get initialized. You can check this by editing the connection and moving the mouse pointer over the variable names. Spoon will display their names as values.
    I get the same error when designing transformations which use steps with this database connection. Editing steps which get their meta data from the table input step will lead to:

Code:
    Unable to get queryfields for SQL: 
    SELECT * from dual

Error occured while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver)
    E/A-Exception: Invalid number format for port number
    3.) When creating a job that uses a transformation you will be able to insert variables using CTRL+space. However, once this job is saved to the repository and reopened, if you are trying to edit the job entry and try to insert a variable (for example for the log file), CTRL+space won't work anymore. Once this behavior occurs all other job entries which were added to job afterwards will be affected by this. Steps in transformation seem not to be affected.

4.) When importing a repository from PDI 2.5.2 which includes a job with enabled database logging, the log connection gets lost. After importing and checking the log connection, the name of the connection is gone. See attached repository file for an example.

I already reported a quite identical issue as PDI-334, but now it looks like this is a kind of different (and even wider and more servere) problem.

Could someone please validate this behavior, I will raise a JIRA tracker afterwards.

Thx in advance,
    Ben
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Ben,

What you say is still totally and utterly confusing to me. I couldn't make heads or tails from it last time around.
    I'm sorry to say that not a lot has changed ;-)

I couldn't reproduce anything you filed the previous time. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but I don't see why anything would have changed.
    We'll see.

All the best,

Matt

1) and 2) should be fixed in the mean time.

I'll try to get to the bottom of 3) and 4) this week too.

;-)

Matt

has anyone tried upgrading from 2.4.1-M1 to 3.0 ?
    I had the same issues as described here #4 when all my db connections in all table inputs/outputs became blank after db repository upgrade.
    thanks!

Talking

The irony.. i came to the forum to look for this exact issue and its on the top.

Im pretty sure that the database connections are disappearing. It didnt happen right after the upgrade however. I was using 3.0 fine for a few days and then so far the db connection property steps have disappeared twice... Im going to try creating a new transformation to see if that helps. Other then that no major complaints.

I would like to also thank all the kettle developers for this product its great.

maybe someone from Pentaho can post here the instructions on how to upgrade the repository so it doesn't blank the connection information in steps?
    Is there an option to export the connection info to xml and then import them into new empty repository?
    I am the only ETL developer in small (less than 50 empl.) company and I have more than 100 steps total in all jobs. I just cannot afford manually fixing each one of them after the upgrade...sorry for bitching here, pentaho is a great product with lots of functionality not even available in some enterprise ETL tools, and I'd like to see this kinds of issues gone so it can be widely adopted in corporate market.

is there an option to export the connection info to xml and then import them into new empty repository?
    Oh the irony as that is exactly what the repository upgrade guide recommends ;-)

As to the problem at hand: is it just the log connection in the jobs (as Ben reported) or all connections in all transformations?
    Please clarify.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

In my case, only the logging connections in jobs were affected. I had no problems with transformation steps or transformation log connections.

Easy workaround:

UPDATE r_job SET id_database_log = <id> WHERE id_database_log = 0:

This should be a lot easier than exporting and importing back again.

Just a thought, though.

Regards,
    Ben

http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-536

I'm sure this problem is gone too. I've updated the lib patches.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    As to the problem at hand: is it just the log connection in the jobs (as Ben reported) or all connections in all transformations?
    Matt
    Connection became blank for all job transformations. I don't use log connection.
    Thanks for suggestions, I'll try export/import to xml when i upgrade this time.

Hi Matt,

thanks for your reply and your support. You guys at Pentaho do a really great job, I really appreciate it!

Don't get disappointed by all those JIRA trackers PDI 3.0 is a huge step forward and a really awesome product!

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
    Ben

I'm not disappointed at all! The only thing I can be disappointed about is that there are so few people that tried the release candidates. The GA build would have been a lot more stable if that would have been the case.
    But other than that, I do think that 3.0.1. will fix most if not all problems that people had. After that, the sky is the limit again, the road-blocks are gone.

Thanks for your reports in any case, as you can see, they do help a lot.

Matt