Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: I do not know where to start

Default I do not know where to start

are there any tutorials on this site or anywhere that can teach me how to use this software? i have no other choice and i'm also stuck with version 2.4 as well.

i wanted to make a job where i have the start node then 2 transformation nodes. one transformation grabs info from a table in my database. done.

but i toss it into "copy to result" object. then in the other transformation i have a "copy from result" object that is supposed to take the info from the previous node and toss into this new one. i can't do this.

are there any tutorials on this software and how to use it? there are alot of docs but none teach you how to use it at all.

information would be greatly apppreciated. thank you

It might be easier to give you a starting point if you tell us what you want to accomplish.

i have 2 MySQL databases. one is called pentaho1 and the other pentaho2. i want to take the data from one table and move it into another table. pentaho1.wp_options => pentaho1.names. the fields are identical. i just changed the table names.

i created a new job and added a start button. then on the bottom pane i added a transformation. i open up the transformation and add a table input and hop it to a "Copy rows to result".

i add another transformation to the job and in there i have a "Get rows from result" and hop that to a Table Output.

table input info:
    connection: to that database locally
    SQL: SELECT option_name FROM wp_options
    nothing else is clicked

table output info:
    connection: to local database 2
    target schema: pentaho2
    target table: names
    commit size: 100
    use batch update for inserts

is this enough information?

i was thinking that maybe the "Copy rows to result" is not what i want because that doesn't save it. perhaps what i want is to create a dummy table to store it in there and then move it from there into the new table?

or are my hops just incorrect somehow? i know i could do this using the wizard but i'm trying to learn how to connect steps and pass data around.

thank you for your help thus far

Smile

Hi,

Let's start simple, alright ?
    Create a New Transformation.
    In this transformation create a Table Input Step and a Table Output Step.
    Make a hope between these two steps.
    You're done. Do you manage to do that ?

If you want to get one step forward, put a Select Values Step between these two steps,
    then in the Select Values Step click Edit Mapping and 'Guess'. Do you manage to do this ?

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

Yes, I can get that first part done already. The table-to-table copy wizard made that exceptionally easy.

My problem right now is getting it to go from one transform to another and keeping the data. It does not seem to do this and I do not know what I’m doing wrong.

I hope it helps. The version that I have to work with is a lot older than you guys’ right now

I have my files uploaded to my server. It’s at www.mr-potatoes.com/kettle/.kettle.zip

Default table input and table output

is there a specific reason why you want to make a simple task difficult?

from your earlier explanation, you just want to move data from one table in one DB to another table in another DB.

I have attached a transform. Just create the relevant database connections and your input query.

dan
    Attached Files Attached Files

because down the line i would have to do this. i already know how to take it from one table and put it into another. simple enough

i figured out the issue though and it was a wierd configuration error.

by default it doesn't have "Copy previous results to args?" set. it also has the bottom two set (text/rows set to 0/null) so it wouldn't bring anything in. so that's how i can move data around from transform to transform.

thank you for the help