Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Variable width records

Default Variable width records

I have a text file that contains groups of variable width records. The first record is 590 bytes, the next is 520 bytes, the next is 60 bytes etc. The records are terminated with line feeds and each type is fixed format.

I can't find a way to get these records through an input stage. If I manually pad them to the maximum size (590) I can read them into kettl correctly but this is the only way I've found to get it done reliably.

Is there any way to pad variable record length files like this within kettl? Or is there another way to get the job done?

Any help would be appreciated!

If these are Cobol redefine like text exports with line format identifiers, then we don't really support that.
    However, people have been reading data from those files anyway by filtering out the lines they wanted in a "Text File Input" step.
    (use the Filter tab)
    That essentially turns the file into a fixed record length file.

HTH,

Matt

OK - thanks Matt. I'm surprised that support for this hasn't been implemented yet. I would have thought it was a fairly common requirement in the ETL world.

We had the request a few times, yes. Nobody was serious enough to implement anything though.
    The problem is not that trivial either since the data has to be sent off to different steps, etc.
    It also requires a complex GUI with field definitions for each "re-define", etc.

In short: a lot of buck for a little bang.

Matt