Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error reading data from step TextFileInput

Default Error reading data from step TextFileInput

I am trying to create some custom components using Kettle API... am using TextFileInput in one of my components to load some fixed length text file...
    It can't be done!!!

From the log console I received the following error:
    Error initializing step [Reading data from [C:\TEMP\DATA\Filexxxxx]]
    -Reading data from [C:\TEMP\DATA\Filexxxxx] - java.lang.NullPointerException

What am i doing wrong??? can somebody help me??

Thanks a lot!

"My uncle's car broke down, it just won't start anymore. Do you know what's wrong with it."

Same type of question... without more information you're not going to get far. A hunch would be that you didn't use all required "set" methods on the metadata. In spoon this is taken care of by spoon, but if you go directly via the API you have to make sure all values are properly set.

I would suggest to debug it a bit yourself for starters.

Regards,
    Sven

My dear Uncle Sboden

Yes I know, i manage to get the car broken... Now I need some hands to fix it this before my uncle get home... some punishments are showing...

What am doing is using TextFileInput to read a flat file... I pulled in some fields with the TextFileInputField component... used a select value to change field names and then output data to a table using table output...

Even reading from the file is not working... is there any useful examples out there???

Thank you very much for your answers...

Hi Bernard,

The main example is TextFileInputDialog.java method getInfo(). It will explain you how to set the properties.
    If you want more specific answers, show us your code.

Matt

The full error code is:
    -Reading data from [C:\TEMP\DATA\AIS.PR.FUND.AVT7901] - java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.di.core.variables.Variables.environmentSubstitute(Variables.java:149)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.TransMeta.environmentSubstitute(TransMeta.java:5692)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.fileinput.FileInputList.createFileList(FileInputList.java:89)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.fileinput.FileInputList.createFileList(FileInputList.java:80)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.textfileinput.TextFileInputMeta.getTextFileList(TextFileInputMeta.java:1207)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.textfileinput.TextFileInput.init(TextFileInput.java:1333)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.StepInitThread.run(StepInitThread.java:48)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

if somebody can help find out what's going on under the hood... I will appreciate...

You didn't supply the TextFileInputMeta object with the file masks.
    It's a String[] the same size as the file name String array.
    You can make the content all nulls, but the array itself needs to be there.

Matt