Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: creating a new custom step

Default creating a new custom step

hello,

I want to create a new custom step,

I can't find a manual for doing this explaining how to create the needed connection to other steps in the kettle spoon, creating the dialog etc...

does anyone have a manual for this?

Thanks,
    Tomer

Have a look at http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/EAI/...ration+Plug-In for a very high level description.

Then go to http://wiki.pentaho.org/display/EAI/...ation+Plug-Ins download one of the plugin steps and look how they work... e.g. Asciify and TrimCut are pretty small

Regards,
    Sven

Default new custom step

Sven,
    Thank you verey much for your swift reply...

I tried taking the TrimCut example,
    when taking the jar's from the example it worked fine,
    but when I tried compiling and creating the jar's by myself it didn't work

I did the following actions:
    1.Created a new java project,
    2.Imported the source files (that were part of the example)
    3.copiled the src into two jar's (ui + engine)
    4.placed then in the spoon libext folder
    5.opened the spoon program.

The dialog did not apear in the spoon...

Any advise?

Thanks again,
    Tomer

my problem... for those steps you need to read installation instructions, the steps are not under the pentaho tree (as I assume your own steps won't be) so you need to setup some variable... it's all in the pdf file

Regards,
    Sven

Default creating custom step

Sven,

Thanks again for your time and effort,

I did not find explenations in the PDF's (that were part of the download from the site) regarding the development of the step, only explenations on the installation and using of the already compiled jar's.

I am trying to create an Output step,
    The output step would have a fixed, not changing list of field names and types.
    I want to be able to connect to that output from other steps, so I would be able to link whatever field I choose to the needed field in my Output step assuming all conversions can work (I guess by using the mapping where I can connect the fields from the previuos step to match the needed fields in my Output step).

I would like to have a manual for developing this step,
    but if non can be found can you please try linking me to some close example?

Thanks yet again,
    Tomer

In the PDF you find what you need to install that plugin as part of PDI ... it's a user manual, not a 'general develop your own step' manual.

You can only get information from other steps when someone creates a hop between your custom step and other steps... there are ways around it, but the intended interface only supports those.

There's no real detail development manual for creating own steps... look at the existing steps, it's not rocket science.

Regards,
    Sven