Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: xml files structure mapping v3.0.0.GA

Smile xml files structure mapping v3.0.0.GA

Hi,

I have 2 xml files with different structures. I would like to map the 2nd's structure on the 1st's one. My idea was to Input both XML, then Table output the 1st one and Edit Mapping between the 2nd one and the Table output step. It doesn't work (because the structure is too deep the generated field names are too long and cut in SQL, then viewed as duplicated by the db) Is it a good idea to use PDI to do this ? Is that a Gold hammer symptom ?

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

PS : samples :
    Code:
    (...)
    DBMODEL1METADATA1TABLES1TABLE1COLUMNS1COLUMN1OPTIONSELECTED1OPTIONSELECT1VAlue TEXT
    DBMODEL1METADATA1TABLES1TABLE1COLUMNS1COLUMN1OPTIONSELECTED1OPTIONSELECT1 TEXT
    (...)
    ERROR: column "dbmodel1metadata1tables1table1columns1column1optionselected1opt" duplicated
    (...)
    Last edited by clement; 12-04-2007 at 12:25 PM.

mmmm ... people starting to give answers to their own questions. In this case I guess it's touch and go qua golden hammer, but if it doens't, it doesn't work.

Regards,
    Sven

Smile

Hi,

Let's give some more informations. This first xml file is a 'DBDesigner fork' sourceforge project database model file.The second is from PowerAMC, another database design tool. They are both using xml format to save their physical data models. But the structures are not the same. I was interested in converting the PowerAMC structure in DBDesigner fork's one using PDI, but I have no time to spend on it as it is too far from my main project.

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-

XLST processing or so if it's possible to transform one in the other?

Smile

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by sboden View Post
    XLST processing or so if it's possible to transform one in the other?
    Yes, that's what I suggested on dbdesigner fork project forum.
    I have not been using xml files a lot in Kettle but I think It's actually not a Kettle job. Thanks for you ideas.

a+, =)
    -=Clément=-