Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Logging Job

Post Logging Job

Hello,

I've tried to use the job's log (see in Job properties) however, it happens a error in end of the job processing. All transformations are executed perfectly. My log table is called ST_ORGANIZATION_DM like it's showed below. The options "Use batch id", "Pass batch id" and "Use logfield" are enabled.
    I'm using the Caché Database 2007 and Kettle 3.0.1 build 524.

Error:
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Couldn't execute SQL: UPDATE ST_ORGANIZATION_DM SET STATUS=?, LINES_READ=?, LINES_WRITTEN=?, LINES_INPUT=?, LINES_OUTPUT=?, LINES_UPDATED=?, ERRORS=?, STARTDATE=?, ENDDATE=?, LOGDATE=?, DEPDATE=?, REPLAYDATE=?, LOG_FIELD=? WHERE ID_JOB=?
    Max item size (32000) exceeded

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.execStatement(Database.java:1510)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.writeLogRecord(Database.java:3610)
    at org.pentaho.di.job.Job.endProcessing(Job.java:582)
    ... 1 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Max item size (32000) exceeded
    at com.intersys.jdbc.SysList.setParameter(SysList.java:1005)
    at com.intersys.jdbc.SysList.setParameter(SysList.java:969)
    at com.intersys.jdbc.CachePreparedStatement.writePSUpdateParameters(CachePreparedStatement.java:265)
    at com.intersys.jdbc.CachePreparedStatement.Update(CachePreparedStatement.java:223)
    at com.intersys.jdbc.CachePreparedStatement.execute(CachePreparedStatement.java:483)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.execStatement(Database.java:1470)
    ... 3 more

Is there some idea about?

Thanks
    Dhiogo

At the time I wrote the Caché driver (about 3-4 years ago) there was no support for CLOBs, only VARCHAR.
    I guess VARCHAR are still limited to 32000 characters, so it's a database limitation I guess. I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it other than using another RDBMS or turning off the "logging in log field" option.

All the best,

Matt

Yes, you are right, There is a database limitation :-(
    Today, Caché Database has support for CLOBs. What can I to do for record job log (as logfield) in database (i wouldn't like record in file) ? Is there some alternative ?

Thank you again
    Dhiogo

The comment in the code read: unfortunately, Caché CLOB is mapped straight to VARCHAR.
    So I'm not sure that's going to help a lot, but you can try to change the data type in the table to see if that helps.

Matt