Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: new text input steps - question

Default new text input steps - question

Hi, I am enjoying the speed increases from lazy conversion in the new text input steps, but miss the functionality included in the original text input step. For example, reading in compressed files, error handling, etc...

Are there plans to merge the 'lazy conversion' features to the original text input step, or add the other functionality into the new steps?

Thanks,
    Drew
    -Drew

I don't know all but I doubt there will be a "full merge" of them... The newer steps were created to be more speedy and less feature-full/cluttered.

Lazy conversion maybe.

Regards,
    Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 12-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Hi Drew, we will add a number of features, but only the things that are strictly needed and are not getting in the way of performance.
    For example, reading compressed files is something we won't do since it is not possible to use Non-blocking IO (NIO) with this. VFS is out too.
    Only local files can be read with this step.

In short: since we have a step that works (Text File Input) for the obscure cases, I'm not sure it's a good idea to port each and every feature.
    The algorithm is nice and clean and fast now, so I would hesitate to mess too much with it.

All the best,

Matt

Thanks Sven & Matt. Appreciate your responses and that makes sense.

Also, if I got to vote, I'd request the following (minor) features be added to the new steps for convenience sake (with the assmuption that it wouldn't impact performance):

- limit rows
    - regex/wildcard
    - show file content
    - insert tab character

Thanks again.

-Drew
    -Drew

Make JIRA's for them... some do get implemented

Regards,
    Sven