Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: EOF reached while reading row

Default EOF reached while reading row

I'm getting a Java error when I'm using the Dimension Lookup/Update step. It seems to happen if I only have a few rows to process and there are will be no new dimension entry from the step (i.e. All the lookup values in the input data match what is already in the dimension).

I've attached the log of the Transform, as well as the transform. Can anyone help with this? I'm using Kettle 2.5.2. We haven't migrated to 3.0.x because we started development of our ETL scripts before 3.0 was GA, and don't have time in our current release cycle to do the required regression testing that moving to 3.0 would trigger.
    Attached Files Attached Files

First upgrade to 3.0.1 released yesterday and let us know if you still see problems after that.

How seamless of an upgrade is that? Can I just drop it in place, or do I have to worry about updating my Transforms and Jobs?

It's a drop in replacement.

Hello,
    I have the same problem..in the middle of the transformation de connection to Mysql is closed raising a java.io.EOFException. I've attached the exception...i'm using Kettle 3.01

Thank you,

AndresF
    Attached Files Attached Files

It actually has little to do with Kettle. Search this forum for the exception to see a couple of things to change in the MySQL setup.

Matt

Well Matt, i searched the forum and didn't find anything. Anyway I solved this issue with the help of the guys in ##pentaho: upgrade the mysql jdbc jar to version 5 and tune the net_read_timeout and net_write_timeout

Hope this help somebody...

Andres

Add your comments to http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-529

Regards,
    Sven

Like I said: it's MySQL specific.

Default EOF reached while reading row

We're still using 2.5.2 and have this exact same issue, the only deal is we are using Oracle 10G, not mysql, and this error happens intermittently. If we start the transform running again, it runs fine, so it is a tough one to troubleshoot. I thougth it might be something specific to caching in the dimension step, but changing things around doesn't seem to help. I'm assuming this goes away in future releases, but I thought I'd let others know we see this on more than just MySQL.

Had it on Oracle once. Changing the JDBC driver helped to reveal an "Unable to extend segment blabla bla by foo" ORA exception in the database. You can get this while reading since you put a lock on the source table. If people insert data into that table (or FK related tables) you could get in trouble that way.
    Either way, it's either a JDBC problem or a server patch level issue.