Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Member Formatter & Captions

Default Member Formatter & Captions

Hi
    I'm wondering if the following scenario is possible.

I have a level defined such that the display names come from a second column (using the captionColumn attribute within the XML schema) but I also want to provide a custom format for this level (to include parent's caption in it)
    I implemented a member formatter, but calling getCaption merely recurses back into the formatMember function.

Is there any other way to get the caption as definied for the level without it coming through this route so that I can get my custom formatting to return the value from the captionColumn together with other information I want to include?

TIA
    Alan
    Everything is hard before it is easy

I see your problem; the only way to get at the caption member is via the getCaption() method, which doesn't return the caption member if the level has a formatter.

I'd consider this a minor bug. Can you log it, please? The best fix would be to add a new property, say $MEMBER_CAPTION_RAW, which always yields unformatted the caption column; and note in the MemberFormatter SPI that it is not valid to call Member.getCaption(), and to call Member.getProperty(Property.MEMBER_CAPTION_RAW) instead.

Julian

So this may be a really stupid question - but one I don't know the answer to...

Where/how do I log a bug? I can't see anything obvious asa to where I need to go to do this

Thanks
    Alan
    Everything is hard before it is easy