Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Evaluating table input rowset

Question Evaluating table input rowset

Given by a scenario is that when table input return no rowset, follow by Java Script Value step, this step will abort the transformation when table input has no rowset.

I had many attempts in achieving this goal. However looks like no matter how i write the Java Script Value, it has no effect at all. Then I start looking into the codes, and found following snippet in ScriptValues class,

public boolean processRow()
    {
    Row r=getRow();
    if (r==null) // no more input to be expected...
    {
    if (data.cx!=null) Context.exit();
    setOutputDone();
    return false;
    }
    addValue();
    }

Looks like a null row got from previous rowset will prevent from any execution of this java script value step. Is this what we expected? if so, does anyone has a way out in my previous scenario, i need to abort the transformation once the table input return no data.

Thx in advanced!

If the javascript doesn't get input it won't run its code... In the new version group by should work I think ... on empty input it will output 1 row with a 0 value.

Regards,
    Sven

thx for ur quick reply! Looks like i got the right logic. However i still need to ask is there any other way to make transformation aborted if there is no record return in table input? ur advices would be much appreciated.

Like Sven said, count the rows with a "Group By" step, filter on a row count being 0 and allow that row to hit the "Abort" step.

what version of group by step are you referring to? It seems has no effect as well in 2.5. thx!

Right... it got fixed in 3.0

Thanks Sven and Matt, i got what i needed.