Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Constraint error with TableOutput using Oracle DB

Default Constraint error with TableOutput using Oracle DB

I have a relatively simple transformation that reads data from one Oracle table, performs two DB lookups and writes the resulting data to another table in a different Oracle database. The target database table contains three foreign key constraints. If I use the table output object I get constraint errors for all rows of data. If I substitute the Insert/Update object I get no constraint errors.

I deleted the data in the target table before changing the output object and I checked the error messages and verified that the foreign key data does indeed exist.

Could this be a JDBC driver issue?

BTW: the error handling feature is works great! It has been a big help in this data migration project.

Regards,
    Frank

Frank, you are getting problems with foreign keys because you have multiple database connections firing off commits to the database asynchronously.
    Try enabling the "unique connections" option (CTRL-T / Misc) and see if that makes your life easier.

Matt

Thanks, Matt! It worked. I need to review my other transformations and set the "Unique Connection"

Best Regards,
    Frank

As I've been in a couple data migration projects, I feel your pain.
    That feature was written in a response to that.

Please note that the order in which statements are executed is still not guaranteed, we're still running everything in parallel.

Matt

I consider the data migration more of a challenge than painful

If I understand correctly: Within a transform the processing occurs in parallel. If I configure multiple jobs, each of which contains the transformations which can run in parallel and configure a "master" job which contains the other jobs, I can control the execution of the transforms.

Thanks so much for the prompt replies.

Frank

In a transformation all steps run simultaneously.
    In a job, job entries are executed one after the other, optionally based on the outcome of the previous job entry.

All the best,

Matt