Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Seeking tool recommendations for source->target mapping analysis

Default Seeking tool recommendations for source->target mapping analysis

I am posting here because there does not seem to be an appropriate forum, but readers of this list surely must deal with this issue in their ETL work.

I am needing to design a data warehouse model that will integrate data from 6-7 database schemas, each schema has many tables and columns. Part of the analysis and design process is to

1. determine areas where the sources are dealing with common attributes, such that you would want to document their "relationship" and verify this in a review process with users

2. define the mappings from data elements in the source systems and their corresponding location in the target data warehouse schema

3. annotate/document both the source and target systems both for review and to capture understanding during the whole analysis process

I have Erwin, but it cannot do some of these things and the source -> target mapping is painful in terms of their interface.

Is there a tool people are using that can support these activities? Some of the other data warehouse tool vendors have some support for this, but it is also usually tightly integrated with their ETL capabilities, which are sometimes metadata-driven. Many of these are part of much larger product packages that have huge license fees, etc. which is why many of us came to use Pentaho to begin with.

Default Analytix Mapping Manager solves the Source to Target Mapping Spec Problem

Analytix offers a product Analytix Mapping Manager - which solves all the issues you have outlined below. Their Mapping Specs are versionable and also integrate with ETL tools to auto-generate the base level ETL jobs. You can learn more at: http://www.analytixds.com/products.html

Close to spam... spam spam spam spam spam ... at least a smarter spammer trying to sell a little known BI tool which has nothing to do with Pentaho.

Since the website of the product http://www.analatixds.com is registered to your own personal name I was almost willing to bet it was a scam to sell vaporware.

Sven
    Last edited by sboden; 10-02-2008 at 11:41 AM.

The problem with tools like Erwin is that they are prohibitively expensive.
    A warehouse is designed/modeled based on the requirements. As such, I'm not so keen on having some automatic tool draw up the model for me.
    I think personally that would be bad practice.
    That being said, ERD tools are great to document the design and source-to-target mapping.
    But then again, you can do it on the cheap as well in a spreadsheet.

Matt

I don't like spam, do you have anything without spam?
    Well, spam spam bacon eggs and spam. That doesn't have a lot of spam in it.

Hello Matt, David,

this is quite an old thread (certainly in IT terms).
    However it's one of the few links that pops up when google searching for "source 2 target documentation".

Have any of you in the past years come accross good tools or methods to do this kind of documentation.
    I'm currently a project where I want to document source 2 target mapping before handing off to ETL developers.

At the moment I'm documenting in Excel. However this is very time consuming and can not be used during the actual development (apart from a human reading the content).

All ideas are welcome.

Best regards,
    Ruben

Hi Ruben,

The interesting part to note is that first of all, there are (AFAICT) no good open source Source2Target mapping tools.
    Second, even if there would be a tool, it's far from certain you could automatically generate ETL "code" with it.

On that train of thought, if you set up your Excel file in a generic way, you *can* actually generate Kettle transformations and jobs out of this.
    You can use a bit of Java code to generate your dimensions and fact tables for example.

Finally... I'm more than happy to help anyone out that wants to do something interesting in this space. Like this for example but then for generating xforms and jobs from the XLS S2T mapping.

Cheers,

Matt
    Last edited by MattCasters; 08-12-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Hi Matt,

i might take you up on your offer. quite busy this weekend finishing a project, will be free next week.

thx

Lana

I'll be off-line next week but after that we can work on something.