Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error: 'Transformation failed to open' when running XML Input Step

Default Error: 'Transformation failed to open' when running XML Input Step

Hello,

I'm working with Pentaho DI version 2.5.2 on FreeBSD with a JVM version 1.5.0. In my configuration I'm reading several attributes from an XML file with just an XML-SAX Input step and give the results to a Dummy step.

I'm facing the situation where the Transformation in Preview mode is working ok but when I try to Run the Transformation, I get the error 'an error occured when reading a transformation from the repository'. I'll put the detailed message below but I see that it comes from 'IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0'

I done things like rebuilding the repository and tried other steps (text input or database table input). These steps Run fine after Preview.

- What can I do more to get the XML-SAX input step to Run the Transformation;

Thanks,

Rob van Winden

------
    Detailed error message text:

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: Error loading transformation
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.dialog.TransLoadProgressDialog$1.run(TransLoadProgressDialog.java:65)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:369)
    at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:313)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.ProgressMonitorDialog.run(ProgressMonitorDialog.java:479)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.dialog.TransLoadProgressDialog.open(TransLoadProgressDialog.java:73)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.spoon.Spoon.loadLastUsedFile(Spoon.java:7423)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:7352)
    Caused by: be.ibridge.kettle.core.exception.KettleException:
    An error occured reading a transformation from the repository
    Unexpected error reading step information from the repository
    Index: 0, Size: 0

at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.TransMeta.<init>(TransMeta.java:2301)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.TransMeta.<init>(TransMeta.java:2130)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.dialog.TransLoadProgressDialog$1.run(TransLoadProgressDialog.java:61)
    ... 6 more
    Caused by: be.ibridge.kettle.core.exception.KettleException:
    Unexpected error reading step information from the repository
    Index: 0, Size: 0
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.step.XMLInputSax.XMLInputSaxMeta.readRep(XMLInputSaxMeta.java:520)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.step.StepMeta.<init>(StepMeta.java:603)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.TransMeta.<init>(TransMeta.java:2203)
    ... 8 more
    Caused by: java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index: 0, Size: 0
    at java.util.ArrayList.RangeCheck(ArrayList.java:547)
    at java.util.ArrayList.set(ArrayList.java:338)
    at be.ibridge.kettle.trans.step.XMLInputSax.XMLInputSaxMeta.readRep(XMLInputSaxMeta.java:483)
    ... 10 more

------

First start by running the transformation outside of the repository.

If that works, reimport it again in the repository using a different name and try again. If it that still doesn't work attach your .ktr xml here for starters and we can have a look.

It could be it's an old bug in 2.5.2, but I don't recall anything like it for the moment.

Regards,
    Sven

Hi Sven,

I have run the tests. The incident still there. I will attacht the ktr and xml file to this mail as requested. I also captured the spoon log which I also will attach (error3.txt).

I performed the following steps:

1) Load the Transformation (test_one_step) without logging into the repository;
    2) Run the transformation --> result is ok;
    3) Run again --> result is ok however I see the StringSearcher access error;
    4) Connect to repository and save the Transformation as test_one_step_database2 in the repository;
    5) Try a Preview --> this executes ok however I see teh StringSearcher access error;
    6) Run the transformation from the repository --> this gives the error message 'an error occured when reading a transformation from the repository' (see below).

In the error3 file I saw there was an error that might be related to this.

2008/01/09 09:40:00 - StringSearcher - Unable to get access to method be.ibridge.kettle.trans.step.XMLInputSax.XMLInputSaxField.getTrimType() : java.lang.IllegalAccessException: Class be.ibridge.kettle.core.reflection.StringSearcher can not access a member of class be.ibridge.kettle.trans.step.XMLInputSax.XMLInputSaxField with modifiers "private"

You think this is related to something I oversee or has a relation with a bug?

Regards,

Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

The original problem (the index 0) is a bug, still in v3 even so no short term solution for using the streaming xml input step from a repository.

Please create a bug at http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI and attach your files as well... Soonest solution will be in v2.5.3, v3.0.1, or v3.1

Regards,
    Sven

followup, created JIRA, fixed the problem. Solution will be 2.5.3, 3.0.2, 3.1-M1

Regards,
    Sven

Sven,

Thanks, you fixed it already before I could create the jira.

Regards,

Rob

Rob, I agree that this behavior is completely annoying.
    We are an open source project after all. Sven should have the decency to wait at least a week or so.

Matt