Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: how to rename files

Default how to rename files

Hello! I'm fairly new to using kettle and I'm creating a job. After the transformation is done, I want to move the CSV files to another location and then rename it. I have successfully moved the files and my problem is renaming it. I need to rename it with a unique name each time (preferably its filename + date) because there will be new CSV files with the same filenames that will be loaded into the same directory a while later.

How can I do this.. There is no rename step....

I tried using the Zip File step. It turned out ok. I zipped the files and moved it into a new directory. I also used the function that will automatically rename a file if a file with the same name exists. The filename looks like this:

FILENAME_113025_30042005

The 113025 indicates the hour, minutes and seconds, and the second part 042008 indicates the day and year. but why is there no month? The 30 shown before 042008 is the same as the minutes. I have done this a couple of times with the same result. Is there any significance as to why the month isn't shown and was replaced by the minute instead?

Thanks...

For the last question... yes someone made a mistake and used "mm" instead of "MM".
    Raise a defect at http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/JIRA

Regards,
    Sven

Hi,

Thanks Sven, fix is in 3.1 and 2.5.3.
    It should be nice to have a "name unique" in "Copy files" job entry.

Rgds

Samatar

Default rename existing file

How to rename an existing file using transformation?

I just want to change its extension form .txt to .load

I m using kettle 2.5 transformation..Thanx in advance!
    Regards,
    kedar.mehta@tcs.com ,
    Tata consultancies Ltd

Can't be done for the moment from a transformation via a dedicated step.

For the moment you can do a copyFile/deleteFile in a javascript step, in a seperate transformation than the rest of your functionality.

Regards,
    Sven

Default Rename file

hmmm...
    Good.

Even if I do it in other transformation,I ll have to do it like Copy as Rename n Delete the older..

Regards,
    kedar.mehta@tcs.com ,
    Tata consultancies Ltd

Default Rename file

I used CMD comand rename, for example:
    REN dir/file newfile

if you are using Linux use shell script and move the files and rename them in the shell script , it is much faster than using pentaho file moving transformation ( i did some bench marking on this

if you are using windows may be you can cmd line for renaming the files as said by carlos

Hi, this is and oold thread but i was looking for something similar to rename a file within a job. Currently in version 4.01 there is not such an entry yet.

I was abled to add an extension to a file (not change an existing one) using the Copy/Move entry and adding a date format like: '.extension' and unckeking the "add date before extension" option.

maybe it be useful to know that you can add via date format something in the name of a file.

hope it be helpful to someone

Cheers

The "Process Files" step allows you to move a series of files from one name to another. (essentially renaming)
    The "Move files" job entry allows you to move a single file without too much of a problem.

Hi,

probably this is not the right post but similar need.
    I want to rename a file just after put it by ftp.
    The only way I have to do it is by using ftp rename command, but this is not implemented actually.
    I need it because while transfering the resulting text file (time depend on file length and network speed) a remote process could read the file before the transfer ends, so it's safe to transfer the file with a different name (with a dot as prefix, it results hidden on Linux system) and then rename it with the real file name upon transfer completed.
    Thanks.

Don't mind. I did it!

The solution has been made developing a Job with the following steps:
    I used FTP Put to transfer the file with the temporary name.
    Then using a Rename File step to rename the destination file, but the magic is to use the VFS file definitions (source=ftp://userass@server/destination_dir/temp_file destination=ftp://userass@server/destination_dir/renamed_file)
    All the configurable pieces have been replaced with variables (user, pass, server, destination_dir, temp_file, renamed_file)
    Calling the job with proper variables set does the trick.

Happy integration!

Hi benhur9ph!.

You could rename files with a transformation?. How is this possible?.

Thanks regards.

Jaz.

hello!

Firstly, sorry my english is bad.

Please, could you help me?

I want to rename .csv and has not worked the transformation. You succeeded?.

Your case is very similar to mine. I work in the maritime area.

Thanks in advance.

Jaz.

Hi.
    I think that you need to use a Copy or Move files step in order to rename them.
    Or use a Shell script with bat or bash.
    -- Mick --

Done!.

Thanks!!.

Jaz.