Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Difference and purpose between some files

Default Difference and purpose between some files

Hi,

I'm new to pentaho reporting. I read about the different technologies and applications involved in reporting creation. But I have some doubts about the purpose and difference between JFreeReport XML Definition, Pentaho Report Spec document, action sequence document.

Do any one know this, or where can I get info about these specific topics or summarize this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by rdealmeida; 01-07-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Hi,

the JFreeReport XML file is the report definition that gets executed by the Pentaho Classic Engine. The Pentaho Report Spec is a file that is used by the Designer to save a report definition including Designer relevant information. In the Designer you can create the xml report defintion files using the publishing functionalities.

Action sequences are used by Pentaho the Pentaho BI Server. They define a sequence of actions of which one could be to execute a report that is defined in the xml report definition.

xyz.report = Report Designer specific file
    xyz.xml = Report definition to be used by the Pentaho Classic Reporting Engine
    xyz.xaction = Pentaho BI Server specific file, wich among other actions, can control the execution of a report on the Pentaho BI Server.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
    Ingo

Thanks, now I can see the difference between these files