Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Dimension or Combination lookup, new name functionality?

DEinspanjer Guest

Default Dimension or Combination lookup, new name functionality?

The Combination step documentation indicates that you can use the "new name" option to rename the field after the lookup, but that option doesn't exist on the form.

I looked in Dimension wondering if maybe it was just a copy/paste bug, and there is a "new name" option in that step, but even there, it is disabled if updating is enabled.

I'm just wanting to return the autoinc value, but since all my technical key fields are named "id", I have to name them appropriately. Are my only two options to either have a rename step after each lookup or to change my schema?

Daniel, remember that these steps where made to do data warehousing. In that setting, calling all technical keys "id" is not a common use-case. :-)
    Why don't you file a feature request for it? It's very simple to implement both your requests, I'm sure I could do it for 3.1.0.

Matt

DEinspanjer Guest

Well I am doing data warehousing! (I'm just not doing it "right"

I was coming from a different naming convention where having people.person_id and items.item_id and foobars.foobar_id was just wasted letters (obviously, the fact table had those fk names and it would have joins that "read" better like "join people on people.id = person_id", etc.

I figured that it would be less painful at this point to just regenerate the schema than to write up an extra rename step for every dimension. Bleh!

Personally, I use _id for the natural key (customer_id, person_id, product_id).
    The surrogate keys (the subject of this thread) or technical keys can then be named _sk or _tk (customer_tk, person_tk, product_tk)

IMHO one of the cornerstones of a good data BI project is the clear and precise definition of the information in the warehouse.
    Naming conventions can help a lot to make things clear.

HTH,

Matt

DEinspanjer Guest

Hrm. I was talking to my DBA about this and we had decided on suffixing the natural keys with _nk.

Anywho. Here is the feature request, just for completeness:
    http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-632