Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Kettle PDI freezing up with Postgresql

Default Kettle PDI freezing up with Postgresql

I'm having a problem while developing transformations using Kettle 3.0.1 on XP and Postgresql 8.2 with the postgresql-8.2-507.jdbc4.jar driver.

If I stop the transformation after the preview the Kettle GUI locks up and has to be terminated by windows.

I'm getting the idea that it has something to do with the postgresql driver, however I'm finding it hard to pin down the cause.

What files, tables or options should I be trying to pin down what's going on.

Cheers
    Brett

What platform are you using? (Windows? 95/98/ME/2000/2003/NT/XP/Vista? Java version? ...)

Thanks for the response.

My windows version is Windows XP SP2. The Java version is 1.6.0_03-b05. The jdbc postgres driver is postgresql-8.2-507.jdbc4.jar. The server is PostgreSQL 8.2.4 on Solaris.

I'm not sure if my transformations are large or not. The one I'm having problems with has 32 steps in it. It also has two javascript steps and 6 database join steps. I'm now monitoring the locks within the database, however there doesn't seem to be any hanging locks when I get the freeze. So I'm starting to suspect the javascript I wrote may be causing problems.

I can't seem to find where I can extract the logfile, or capture it in a text file. What should I try to narrow the causes.

Cheers
    Brett

Brett, no step in itself can lock up the GUI.
    Could it be that you are running out of memory?

Check to see if you are using steps that cache data (DB Lookup, Dimension Lookup, Stream Lookup, etc).
    Also try to run the transformation using Pan to see what happens then.

HTH,

Matt

I'm not getting a memory error. However I can't seem to replicate the problem now that I have changed the Javascript steps.

If I get the same problem again I'll run it in pan.

Thanks again for your response.
    Cheers